Kinematics Newton's Laws Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of acceleration and tension for boxes connected by a heavy rope. The masses and force involved are provided and free-body diagrams are used to solve for the acceleration. The tension at each end of the cord is unknown and the conversation explores different approaches to finding it, including considering the weight distribution along the rope.
davidkis
Suppose the cord in Fig. 4-22 is a heavy rope of mass 1.0 kg. Calculate the acceleration of each box and the tension at each end of the cord, using the free-body diagrams shown in Fig. 4-46. Assume the cord doesn't sag. (m1 = 10.5 kg , m2 = 12.5 kg and FP = 35.0 N)

m1 stands for the mass of the first box and m2 stands for the mass of the second fp is the force that the man is pulling on the rope which is connected to m1 and anther rope connecting m1 to m2 which is 1 kg.
[m2]t2---1kg rope---t1[m1]- Fp

above is a small illustration of how it looks like I am trying to solve for t1 and t2 then tensions.

Homework Equations

so their are 2 boxes one being pulled by anther by a 1 kg string i found the acceleration of both boxes to be 1.458 m/s^2 by doing f=ma mass was 24kg and force is 35 35/24 = acceleration i had no idea where to start looking for the tension of the two boxes.

The Attempt at a Solution

have to idea i think it would be 35N because the tension would stay the same through out but doesn't seem to be right. Any Ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi davidkis ! Welcome to PF! :smile:
davidkis said:
… a heavy rope …

i think it would be 35N because the tension would stay the same through out but doesn't seem to be right. Any Ideas?

Because the rope is heavy, the "front" end has to pull more mass than the "back" end …

it's like a series of weights hanging from the ceiling, each joined to the one above by a (massless) string …

if you think about it, the lowest connecting string has to support far less weight than the highest one, and so its tension will be far less. :wink:

i get where your going and tried to imagine it hanging down ur right that t2 would have less tension but i still don't completely understan might go to my teacher for this one.

thanks for the help tho

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of motion, including its causes and effects.

2. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are a set of three laws that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the force applied to an object is proportional to its mass and acceleration. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3. How are Newton's Laws related to kinematics?

Newton's Laws are directly related to kinematics because they describe the fundamental principles of motion, which is the subject of kinematics. These laws help us understand the causes and effects of motion, and can be used to analyze and predict the behavior of objects in motion.

4. What is the difference between kinematics and dynamics?

Kinematics is the study of motion without considering the forces that cause it, while dynamics is the study of motion in relation to the forces that cause it. In other words, kinematics focuses on the motion itself, while dynamics looks at the causes and effects of that motion.

5. How are Newton's Laws used in real life?

Newton's Laws are used in many real-life applications, such as designing vehicles, understanding the motion of planets and satellites, and analyzing the movements of athletes. They are also used in engineering, robotics, and other fields to develop new technologies and improve existing ones.