Thermodynamic Properties of high pressure gases

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for thermodynamic properties of gases at high pressure, specifically the kinematic and absolute viscosity of air at 300 Kelvin and 330 bar. The link provided by Mech_Engineer redirects to NIST's website which has the desired data. The other participants suggest using a thermodynamic properties of air table or a program called REFPROP 8.0, which can be purchased for $200. Another participant used ASPEN to find the answer, with a resulting dynamic viscosity of 0.0299 cp and kinematic viscosity of 8.566e-8 m^2/sec.
0507476h
Hi,

Anyone know where I can find thermodynamic properties of gases at high pressure? More specifically I need to find the kinematic viscosity or the absolute viscosity of air at around 300 degrees Kelvin and 330 bar.

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on what gas and who you talk to. All the major aerospace companies for example have their own version of air tables (for high temp/high pressure). They can vary quite significantly.

http://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry/fluid/" should have the data you're after. Otherwise, a thermodynamic properties of air table at the local school library would have it too. You might even be able to find a table online if you search in google for "themodynamic properties of air."

Last edited by a moderator:
0507476h said:
Hi,

Anyone know where I can find thermodynamic properties of gases at high pressure? More specifically I need to find the kinematic viscosity or the absolute viscosity of air at around 300 degrees Kelvin and 330 bar.

Cheers

Air @ 300 K and 330 bar:

Kin. Viscosity = 0.00000090477 (ft²/s)

CS

stewartcs said:
Air @ 300 K and 330 bar:

Kin. Viscosity = 0.00000090477 (ft²/s)

CS

Thank-you for this, could you tell me how you calculated/where you found this data? Just so I can do it for myself in future as I reckon I will have a range of other pressures and temps to calculate kinematic viscosity for in future.

Thanks

0507476h said:
Thank-you for this, could you tell me how you calculated/where you found this data? Just so I can do it for myself in future as I reckon I will have a range of other pressures and temps to calculate kinematic viscosity for in future.

Thanks

NIST has a program called REFPROP 8.0 that gives this information. Check the link above from Mech_Engineer and they will probably have a link for it. It cost $200 for copy last time I checked.

CS

Hi
I used ASPEN to find the answer
At 300K and 330 bar
Dynamic Viscosity=0.0299 cp =2.99e-5 Pa.sec
Kinematic Viscosity=8.566e-8 m^2/sec

1. What are the thermodynamic properties of high pressure gases?

The thermodynamic properties of high pressure gases can be described by various quantities such as temperature, pressure, volume, enthalpy, entropy, and internal energy. These properties determine the behavior and state of a gas under different conditions.

2. How do high pressure gases differ from low pressure gases?

High pressure gases have a higher density and a smaller volume compared to low pressure gases at the same temperature. This is due to the increased molecular interactions and reduced space between particles in high pressure gases.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and pressure in high pressure gases?

In high pressure gases, temperature and pressure are directly proportional to each other according to the ideal gas law. This means that as pressure increases, temperature also increases and vice versa, as long as the volume and number of moles of gas remain constant.

4. How do thermodynamic properties change with increasing pressure?

As pressure increases, the volume of a gas decreases, while the temperature and density increase. Additionally, the enthalpy and internal energy of a gas also increase with increasing pressure. However, the ratio of specific heats and the speed of sound in the gas remain constant.

5. How are high pressure gases used in industrial processes?

High pressure gases are commonly used in various industrial processes such as gas compression, refrigeration, and power generation. They are also used in chemical reactions and as a medium for energy storage and transportation. Understanding the thermodynamic properties of high pressure gases is crucial for optimizing these processes and ensuring safety.