Robotics and motion replication

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a sensor and a DC motor connected through a computer to replicate the rotation of the sensor in real-time. The speaker is seeking references and literature on motion control in robotics and mentions using an optical encoder as the feedback signal to minimize error. The Wikipedia page on servomechanism is suggested as a starting point for research.
preet
Hey all

I'm working with a simple 'robot' that consists of a sensor (rotary encoder) and a DC motor. Both are coupled through a computer. My goal is to simply replicate any rotation the sensor undergoes using the motor. For example if the sensor turns one revolution in a second, I want the motor to replicate the same motion in real-time.

I can obtain position data from the encoder at a fairly high frequency. I realize that motion control in robotics is a huge field unto itself. I'm new at this and would really appreciate some references (websites, textbooks, etc) that I could look at. I'm having trouble with the 'key words' I'd use to find literature on this topic specifically.

Regards,

-Preet

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servomechanism" is one place to start.

For your example, you could use an optical encoder on the motor as the feedback/error signal. Try to make this error zero.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is robotics and motion replication?

Robotics and motion replication is a field of study that involves designing and programming robots to mimic and perform movements similar to that of humans or other living organisms.

2. How does motion replication work?

Motion replication works by using sensors and actuators to gather information about the environment and make corresponding movements based on that information. The sensors detect changes in the environment, and the actuators execute the movements to replicate the desired motion.

3. What are the applications of robotics and motion replication?

Robotics and motion replication have a wide range of applications in industries such as manufacturing, healthcare, and entertainment. They can be used for tasks that are dangerous, repetitive, or require high precision, as well as in situations where it is not possible or safe for humans to perform the task.

4. What are the challenges in robotics and motion replication?

Some of the challenges in robotics and motion replication include the complexity of designing and programming robots to perform specific tasks, the need for advanced sensors and actuators, and the difficulty in replicating the dexterity and flexibility of human movements.

5. What is the future of robotics and motion replication?

The future of robotics and motion replication is constantly evolving and expanding. With advancements in technology, we can expect to see more sophisticated and versatile robots that can perform a wider range of tasks with greater efficiency and precision. This field also has the potential to greatly impact various industries and improve our daily lives.