Designing a Robotic Lawnmower Blade: Calculating Torque for Optimal Performance

• Thread starter Brushybill
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is part of a group building a remote controlled robotic lawnmower and their task is to design the blade system. They are estimating the weight of the blade to be 1lb and are having trouble figuring out how much torque is needed to turn the blade with an electric motor. They are seeking help with the calculations and mention that there may be charts available for their specific motor.
Brushybill
Hello,

Some classmates and I are building a remote controlled robotic lawnmower for a design project. One of my task is to design the blade system. The blade is a small weed-wacker blade that is 12in long -- and I am estimating the weight at 1lb for now. It will be attached directly to the motor output shaft.

I am having trouble figuring out how much torque I will need to turn the blade with an electric motor. Neither my dynamics or mechanical mechanisms book gives a clear example of a bar/blade that is driven from the center and/or facing down. Can someone help me figure out the math to come up with some calculations for this problem?

-Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on how fast you want it to spin once it's up to speed. The torque will affect how long it takes the blade to get up to speed, but once it's up to speed, the blade doesn't really affect the motor, unless there's significant drag on the blade from air (probably not). There are probably charts for your motor for torque, rpm, current, etc.

1. What is a robotic lawnmower blade?

A robotic lawnmower blade is a type of cutting tool specifically designed for use with robotic lawnmowers. It is typically made of strong and durable materials such as stainless steel or titanium and is designed to effectively and efficiently cut grass without requiring manual operation.

2. How does a robotic lawnmower blade work?

A robotic lawnmower blade is attached to the bottom of a robotic lawnmower and rotates at high speeds to cut grass. The blade is powered by an electric motor and controlled by the robotic lawnmower's programming, which dictates the direction and speed of the blade's rotation.

3. Are robotic lawnmower blades safe?

Yes, robotic lawnmower blades are designed with safety in mind. They are enclosed within the robotic lawnmower's body, making it difficult for anyone to come into contact with the blade while it is in operation. Additionally, most robotic lawnmowers have built-in safety features, such as sensors, to avoid obstacles and prevent accidents.

4. Do I need to sharpen a robotic lawnmower blade?

It is not necessary to sharpen a robotic lawnmower blade as frequently as a traditional lawnmower blade. However, over time, the blade may become dull and require sharpening. It is best to consult the manufacturer's instructions for guidance on when and how to sharpen the blade.

5. How long does a robotic lawnmower blade last?

The lifespan of a robotic lawnmower blade can vary depending on the frequency of use and the type of grass it is cutting. On average, a robotic lawnmower blade can last for 1-2 years before needing to be replaced. Regular maintenance and proper usage can help extend the lifespan of the blade.