Radiation heat transfer between air or wall

In summary: If one cannot be assumed negligible, then the sum of the fluxes must be divided by the total heat capacity of the object to determine the q(rad) for that mode of heat transfer.
zenite
Lets say a hot object is at 500K and placed in a chamber with wall temperature of 300K. The surrounding air in the chamber is 320K.

So what is the mode of heat transfer for the hot objection? There is convection and radiation. so the heat transfer rate, q = q(conv) + q(rad), right?

Convection is between object and surrounding air. But what about radiation? Is it between the object and the chamber walls or is it between the object and the surrounding air? Depending on which is chosen, the q(rad) will varies since q(rad) depends on the temperature difference of the 2 body.

Can anyone help me out? I am confused on using 500K and 300K to calculate q(rad) or 500K and 320K.

Science news on Phys.org
Ok, I think I got it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Rate of energy radiation of an object (T is given by
qo = A[tex]\sigma[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex]T4

If the object is in a chamber with wall temperature of Tw and surrounding air of Ta, then the object receives heat radiation from both wall and air.
qwall to object = A[tex]\sigma[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex]Tw4

qair to object = A[tex]\sigma[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex]Ta4

Hence, the net q for object to air and wall is:
qnet = A[tex]\sigma[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex](T4-Ta4-Tw4)

ps: the sigma and epsilon isn't suppose to be superscript, not sure why it turns out this way

Hi zenite, welcome to PF. The air isn't going to participate to any significant effect in the heat transfer between the object and the wall. (Another way of looking at this is that a few meters of air won't block radiative heat transfer, just as a few meters of air doesn't attenuate visible light to any noticeable degree). The air properties are only going to affect the convection term.

Ok, so radiation takes place between the object and the walls only? Is there no radiation taking place between the air and the object or is it insignificant as compared to the other modes of heat transfer?

And yes, I realized that the formula that I put up earlier on is incorrect, since taking T4 - Ta4 - Tw4 can give a negative value, which is illogical if T>Ta>Tw.

zenite said:
Ok, so radiation takes place between the object and the walls only? Is there no radiation taking place between the air and the object or is it insignificant as compared to the other modes of heat transfer?

It exists but is insignificant.

Oh thanks for clearing my doubts. I have another question on convection.

If an air gap exists between 2 walls, say, wall A and wall B. the convective heat transfer coefficient of the air is h. Assuming no radiation and conduction in the air gap, what is the heat transfer rate between the 2 walls?

Let Ta be temperature of wall A, Tb of wall B and Tair of the air.

q = hA (Ta - Tair) + hA (Tair - Tb) = hA (Ta - Tb)
or is it...
q = 0.5hA (Ta - Tb)

Since convection takes place 'twice', between wall A and air, and between wall B and air, should the h be multiply by 0.5?

Last edited:
I don't think this approach is going to prove fruitful. Convection removes heat energy by fluid motion tangential to a surface. The convective flow isn't going to automatically divert to the other wall and deposit heat energy there. And I don't see the sense in adding the heat flux values together. Assuming that convection does dominate in this problem (which isn't clear), it's the same flux of energy; adding the values is nonsensical.

The general approach is to calculate the values of heat flux by each mechanism (conduction, convection, radiation) and determine if one or more can be assumed negligible.

1. What is radiation heat transfer?

Radiation heat transfer is the transfer of thermal energy through electromagnetic waves, without the need for a medium or physical contact between objects. This process can occur between two objects at different temperatures, such as between air and a wall.

2. How does radiation heat transfer occur between air and a wall?

Radiation heat transfer between air and a wall occurs when the air molecules gain thermal energy from the wall's surface, causing them to vibrate and emit electromagnetic waves. These waves then travel through the air and are absorbed by the wall, increasing its temperature.

3. What factors affect the rate of radiation heat transfer between air and a wall?

The rate of radiation heat transfer between air and a wall is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the two objects, the surface area of the objects, and the properties of the materials involved, such as their emissivity and reflectivity.

4. Does radiation heat transfer always occur between air and a wall?

No, radiation heat transfer is not limited to occurring between air and a wall. It can also occur between any two objects at different temperatures, as long as there is no physical contact between them and they can emit and absorb electromagnetic waves.

5. How can radiation heat transfer between air and a wall be controlled?

Radiation heat transfer between air and a wall can be controlled by changing the properties of the objects involved, such as using materials with lower emissivity or higher reflectivity. Additionally, the temperature difference between the two objects can also be adjusted to control the rate of heat transfer.