Which Race Will Reign Supreme in StarCraft?

• Thread starter jhooper3581
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poll
In summary: Earth.In summary, the race that has the most advanced technology is the Protoss. They have dark templars which potentially wreak havoc on your supply line (and everything else...) if you're Terran, and siege tanks which are awesome. The Terran also have ghosts with some nuke silos, which are pretty devastating. The Zerg have no technology, but they assimilate genetic code of other species. Together with the Borg originally conceived as insects..., the Zerg have the most advanced biotechnology in the galaxy.

In the game of StarCraft, which race does have the most advanced technology?

• Terran.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Zerg.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Protoss.

Votes: 16 69.6%

• Total voters
jhooper3581
Hmm... which race?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey look, the sun is out! Go outside and play.

The Protoss obviously have the most advanced technology. The Zerg have no technology at all and the Terran are just humans with slightly better technology than we have right now.

Is this a contest?

Obviously Protoss.

leroyjenkens said:
The Zerg have no technology
The zerg have the most advanced biotechnology in the galaxy.

They have no more advanced biotechnology than a toxic snake has advanced technology on toxins.

I did not realize that there was a great snake collective consciousness that designed organic toxins, and invented toxic snakes to deliver them.

Kajahtava said:
Obviously Protoss.

Exactly.

Random.

No seriously, I always enjoyed playing terran. Siege tanks were awesome. On the other hand, protoss had dark templars, which potentially wreak havoc on your supply chain (and everything else...) if you're terran.

Edit: Heh, when I swa the thread all I read was "which race"...but obviously protoss have the most advanced technology

JaWiB said:
No seriously, I always enjoyed playing terran. Siege tanks were awesome. On the other hand, protoss had dark templars, which potentially wreak havoc on your supply chain (and everything else...) if you're terran.
That's fairly superficial, though -- there are lots of easy ways to make serious mistakes that are devastating if your opponent capitalizes on it.

Dark templar aren't special in that regard -- they just happen to strike at one of the more common mistakes (inadequate detection) and have a sort of 'coolness' factor. They gain a bit of undeserved notoriety because losing because you couldn't defend against dark templar doesn't offer any false hope; a pair of high templar clearing out your supply chain* is just as much of a loss, but if you don't really understand the economics, you will suffer the illusion that you are still in the game.

*: Assuming, of course, you aren't granted comparable compensation -- e.g. your let opponent psi storm your SCV's because you were focused on (successfully) wiping out his probes with a vulture blitz or have a lethal push walking over an opponent's base

The Protoss defiantly had the cool factor down to an art and Carriers could be a major pain to any defensive line. However I still have to go with Terrans for the reason of Battle Cruisers, Siege tanks (I'm about to drop the hammer and dispense some indiscriminate Justice!) and Ghosts with some nuke silos.

Last edited by a moderator:
MotoH said:
But then the sun blocks my vision of the computer screen :(

Hurkyl said:
I did not realize that there was a great snake collective consciousness that designed organic toxins, and invented toxic snakes to deliver them.
Likewise I didn't know the Zerg had.

The canon is pretty clear on that the Zerg basically assimilate genetic code of other species, they don't research their own. Together with the Borg originally conceived as insects...

Kajahtava said:
Likewise I didn't know the Zerg had.

The canon is pretty clear on that the Zerg basically assimilate genetic code of other species, they don't research their own.
Yes, the Zerg assimilate, but just to get new ideas and bases to work with; every species of Zerg was designed by the Overmind. e.g. the Zerg assimilated the Slothien, and from that the Overmind engineered the Hydralisk.

Some units -- e.g. the Defiler -- may have even been invented from scratch.

We see the fruits of the Overmind's labor in Brood War (the invention of the Lurker and Devourer aspects), and even in the original Starcraft (Infested Terrans, and the Queen of Blades).

Well, that's a reasonable point yes.

I wouldn't call it 'technology' though.

MotoH said:

Damn the sun! I tan the skin on my face from the computer and then the sun comes in and make it's all uneven. The computer makes a nice consistent tan on my face.

This reminds me of something, since this is PF!

I believe that there is actually some type of aliens out there in the universe that is similar to Protoss. I bet they're much smarter than us humans. I bet they already figured out physics theories such as relativity and perhaps beyond these dumb theories. They already know that we are here, trust me (theories of existence of UFOs proves this). They just want to keep their identities private, and they want to give us the chance to use our own smarts to figure out how to travel around the universe, then we will have the chance to see them face to face someday.

Well.. the problem with the protoss is that the race became so advanced technologicaly that all of the aliens population became super stupid and that's why they couldn't beat the zerg. Kinda like how it's happening to us here on earth.

jhooper3581 said:
This reminds me of something, since this is PF!

I believe that there is actually some type of aliens out there in the universe that is similar to Protoss. I bet they're much smarter than us humans. I bet they already figured out physics theories such as relativity and perhaps beyond these dumb theories. They already know that we are here, trust me (theories of existence of UFOs proves this). They just want to keep their identities private, and they want to give us the chance to use our own smarts to figure out how to travel around the universe, then we will have the chance to see them face to face someday.
Are you quite serious?

Why does everyone assume that an alien species would be more advanced than us?

Kajahtava said:
Are you quite serious?
Yes, I am quite serious.

Pattonias said:
No, people assume that at least one alien species is more advanced than us.

Seeing that the universe is well.. large, it's not an unrealistic assumption.

Point is, it comes down to your definition of 'life' and of 'advanced', as already pointed out by our Zerg-debate, this isn't at all hard science.

jhooper3581 said:
Yes, I am quite serious.
Hmm, elaborate on this vision then. Your thread, your party.

Pattonias said:
Otherwise we wouldn't meet them.

Klockan3 said:
Otherwise we wouldn't meet them.
What if the speed of light is really the upper bound and all those FTL **** is really just speculative garbage by people that can't accept the simple fact that physical laws were not 'designed' with human convenience in mind?

Kajahtava said:
Well, that's a reasonable point yes.

I wouldn't call it 'technology' though.
That's just because flashy robots and death rays[1] get all the popularity. I didn't make up the word biotechnology. :wink:

Biotechnology reminds me too much of Nature and Science, two magazines I loathe with a passion, for one, because they include biotechnology and even dare to call it science instead of stamp collecting.

magpies said:
Well.. the problem with the protoss is that the race became so advanced technologicaly that all of the aliens population became super stupid and that's why they couldn't beat the zerg. Kinda like how it's happening to us here on earth.
I'm quite sure it's simply because there's more zerg than everybody else in terms of population. And no, the protoss actually haven't gotten lazy with advanced technology like we have.

Anonymous217 said:
I'm quite sure it's simply because there's more zerg than everybody else in terms of population. And no, the protoss actually haven't gotten lazy with advanced technology like we have.
Not physically, but until Aiur was being overrun, they only half-heartedly opposed the Zerg.

MotoH said:

I know one guy who have been playing starcraft for more than a week from morning to night .. I don't think he takes any break, sad part is during exams period. :cry:

Hurkyl said:
Not physically, but until Aiur was being overrun, they only half-heartedly opposed the Zerg.

If I rememebr correctly from back in the day of the ancients when I was addicted to this game, the reason for their half-heartedness was that they wanted to stay out of the war, which of course ended with the same result of pre world war two USA.

Protoss would have the upper hand in technology, but without vast resources they are defenceless. Playing on a map where resources are scarce, zerg wins hands down. Meanwhile Terran is in the middle. I have the most fun playing terran though, maybe because I can kind of relate to them.

Hrm. My recollection was that, in their arrogance, they never even considered the possibility that the Zerg were a serious threat until it was too late. Ah well.

Anyways, the more I think about it, the more I think we're selling the Terrans short; I think it's clear the Terrans are by far the best (mechanical) engineers in the galaxy. While the Protoss clearly have more advanced physics, that alone does not merit calling them more technologically advanced.

awri said:
Playing on a map where resources are scarce, zerg wins hands down. Meanwhile Terran is in the middle. I have the most fun playing terran though, maybe because I can kind of relate to them.
I confess I would have thought Terran > Protoss > Zerg, though it depends on what precisely you mean by "scarce resources"; I would expect a lack of expansions to eliminate both the Zerg's biggest advantage and the Terran's biggest weakness.

Hurkyl said:
I confess I would have thought Terran > Protoss > Zerg, though it depends on what precisely you mean by "scarce resources"; I would expect a lack of expansions to eliminate both the Zerg's biggest advantage and the Terran's biggest weakness.

That's an interesting thought. I was only accounting for the economics of each species and not the relative strategic advantages and disadvantages. Keeping the same "scarce" resource example going, terran do present a strong case for being the victor since they don't have to waste precious resources fabricating more command centers. However, a carefully planned Zerg attack can cancel that out. The only ones I see in trouble are the Protoss. As they are the least efficient with resources.

Or something like that.

Edited for sucky grammar.

I believe the Terran will also be able to 'salvage' their buildings, resulting in the harvest of resources, but the loss of the building.

If you guys like the StarCraft "fluff", then you should check out Warhammer 40k. SC was based upon this universe, but Games Workshop didn't like their product, so wouldn't endorse it. Some lawsuit did reslult from the release of SC.

The game I'm in love with is Dawn of War: Chaos Rising. Far, far, far more tactical than SC. It's really a great game, but has a somewhat steep learning curve. But it's seriously the best RTS out there.

(sorry for poor spelling, I'm in a hurry.)

<h2>1. What is the most dominant race in StarCraft?</h2><p>The most dominant race in StarCraft is subjective and can vary depending on the player's skill level and strategy. However, currently, the Terran race is considered to be the most dominant due to its versatility and strong defensive capabilities.</p><h2>2. Which race is the easiest to play in StarCraft?</h2><p>The easiest race to play in StarCraft is also subjective and can vary from player to player. However, many beginners find the Protoss race to be the easiest due to its straightforward and powerful units.</p><h2>3. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each race in StarCraft?</h2><p>The strengths and weaknesses of each race in StarCraft are constantly changing due to updates and balance changes. However, generally, the Terran race is known for its strong defensive capabilities, the Protoss race for its powerful units and advanced technology, and the Zerg race for its ability to quickly produce large numbers of units.</p><h2>4. Is there a specific race that is favored in professional StarCraft tournaments?</h2><p>Professional StarCraft tournaments often see a mix of all three races, with each race having its own unique strategies and playstyles. However, historically, the Protoss race has had the most success in professional tournaments due to its powerful units and advanced technology.</p><h2>5. Can a player switch races in StarCraft or do they have to stick with one?</h2><p>In StarCraft, players are free to switch races at any time. In fact, many players often switch races to adapt to different opponents or to try out new strategies. However, some players may choose to specialize in one race to become masters of their unique playstyle and strategies.</p>

1. What is the most dominant race in StarCraft?

The most dominant race in StarCraft is subjective and can vary depending on the player's skill level and strategy. However, currently, the Terran race is considered to be the most dominant due to its versatility and strong defensive capabilities.

2. Which race is the easiest to play in StarCraft?

The easiest race to play in StarCraft is also subjective and can vary from player to player. However, many beginners find the Protoss race to be the easiest due to its straightforward and powerful units.

3. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each race in StarCraft?

The strengths and weaknesses of each race in StarCraft are constantly changing due to updates and balance changes. However, generally, the Terran race is known for its strong defensive capabilities, the Protoss race for its powerful units and advanced technology, and the Zerg race for its ability to quickly produce large numbers of units.

4. Is there a specific race that is favored in professional StarCraft tournaments?

Professional StarCraft tournaments often see a mix of all three races, with each race having its own unique strategies and playstyles. However, historically, the Protoss race has had the most success in professional tournaments due to its powerful units and advanced technology.

5. Can a player switch races in StarCraft or do they have to stick with one?

In StarCraft, players are free to switch races at any time. In fact, many players often switch races to adapt to different opponents or to try out new strategies. However, some players may choose to specialize in one race to become masters of their unique playstyle and strategies.