How to Obtain g(x) from f(z) for a Given Equation and Distribution?

• Thread starter zetafunction
  • Start date
In summary, if f(x) is known for all complex x, then g(x) can be obtained from the difference f(x+i\epsilon ) - f(x-i\epsilon ). However, the reverse is not true, as adding any continuous function to f(z) would still result in the same g(x). This assumes that f(z) is discontinuous perpendicular to the real axis.
zetafunction
given any function (or maybe distribution) f(x) and g(x) so

[tex] f(x+i\epsilon ) - f(x-i\epsilon ) = g(x) [/tex]

if we know f(x) could we obtain g(x) from the difference above ??

if we knew g(x) could we solve the equation to get f(x) ??

here [tex] \epsilon \rightarrow 0 [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first question, if you know f(z) for all complex z, you can get g(x). For the second question the answer is no, since you can add any continuous function to f(z) and still get the same g(x).

I presume that f(z) is discontinuous perpendicular to the real axis, otherwise the question is trivial.

1. What is the process for solving an equation?

Solving an equation involves isolating the variable on one side of the equal sign and simplifying the other side. This can be done by using algebraic operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, to both sides of the equation until only the variable remains on one side.

2. How do I know if my solution is correct?

To confirm the accuracy of your solution, you can plug the value you found for the variable back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then your solution is correct.

3. What do I do if there are multiple variables in the equation?

If there are multiple variables in the equation, you can use the same process of isolating one variable at a time until you are left with only one variable. This may require multiple steps and may also involve using the distributive property or combining like terms.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve an equation?

Yes, a calculator can be helpful in solving equations, especially if the numbers involved are large or complicated. However, it is important to understand the steps and methods used to solve equations by hand to ensure accuracy.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving equations?

There are some common patterns and shortcuts that can be used to solve certain types of equations, such as quadratic equations. However, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and steps involved in solving equations to be able to apply these shortcuts effectively.