Why does a small air motor require more CFM than the compressor's rated watts?

In summary: The compressor you are using is rated for 1200 watts at 60psi. The motor you are using is rated for 3.5 watts at 60psi. The efficiency of the compressor is about 39%. The efficiency of the motor is about 10%.
Mike_In_Plano
I'm a sparky, so forgive my ignorance regarding many things mechanical...

I'm puzzled why a small air motor that's rated to put out about 3.5 shaft watts requires 4.3 CFM @ 60PSI while the compressor on the other end is rated to consume roughly 1200 watts to maintain the flow at the stated pressure.

Is it likely that I'm reading the specs incorrectly, are the CFM values quantified differently at the two ends, or is this process so horridly inefficient?

Best Regards,

- Mike

Engineering news on Phys.org
Doesn't sound quite right. Why not show us what you're looking at so we have at least some clue how to help you?

When small compressor manufacturers use CFM, they're talking about the volumetric displacement of their machine, so if local temperature and pressure are equal to standard conditions, the CFM is equal to SCFM. Air motor manufacturers do basically the same thing, except here they're assuming that if the inlet temperature and discharge pressure are equal to standard conditions, the CFM is equal to SCFM. Note that what is meant by "standard conditions" can vary depending on what industry you are in. For the industrial gas industry, we generally use 14.7 psia and 70 F in the US.

The air motor you quote (60 psig inlet, 4.3 CFM, 3.5 W output) gives an efficiency of only 1.3%. I don't know about air motors this small, but I'd have expected a whole lot better. Larger air motors typically run around 50% from what I've seen, though the smaller ones (about 10 times larger than what you're referencing) may be as low as 10%. These are ballpark numbers, so you'll need to check individual units for efficiency.

The air compressor you quote (60 psig discharge, 4.3 CFM, 1200 W input) has an efficiency of about 39%, which isn't very good but for a machine this small, it's not that bad.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

The motor in question is a Micro Motors MMR-5000. I found the performance curves at:
http://www.airoil.com/micromotor.pdf
For the app, I was targeting about 25,000 RPM at 1.1oz-in of torque, which seems to be a sweet spot - halfway to unloaded speed.

I need about 3.5 shaft watts, but I think I messed up on the computation. I simply had:

P(watts) = torque * rev/sec

I think it should have been:

P = torque * rev/sec * 2pi

That gives me 20.3 shaft watts (more than needed / wanted), but it still doesn't look very efficient...

- Mike

What is pneumatic power conversion?

Pneumatic power conversion is the process of converting compressed air or gas into mechanical energy for use in various applications.

How does pneumatic power conversion work?

Pneumatic power conversion works by using a compressor to compress air or gas, which is then stored in a tank. This pressurized air is then released through a control valve, which directs it to a pneumatic cylinder or motor. The air expands, causing the cylinder to move and generate mechanical energy.

What are the advantages of pneumatic power conversion?

There are several advantages of pneumatic power conversion, including its high power-to-weight ratio, low cost, and ease of use. Pneumatic systems also do not require complex electrical components and are less affected by extreme temperatures or hazardous environments.

What are the common applications of pneumatic power conversion?

Pneumatic power conversion is commonly used in industrial automation, transportation, and manufacturing processes. It is also used in household appliances, such as air compressors and power tools.

What are the potential limitations of pneumatic power conversion?

While pneumatic power conversion has many advantages, it also has some limitations. These include the need for a constant supply of compressed air, potential leaks in the system, and limited precision and control compared to other power conversion methods.