Aluminium alloy with an uts of 400MPa and is tested to a ratio of 0.1

In summary, calculating the mean stress and endurance limit for a given material requires more specific information and calculations based on the loading conditions and geometry of the material.
scw1

Homework Statement

Hi there if you have an aluminium alloy with an uts of 400MPa and is tested to a ratio of 0.1 and the endurance limit is 10^7 cycles is 160MPA what is the mean stress with a stress amplitude of 160MPa, how do i work out the max and min stresses and using the Goodman relation how do i calculate the endurance limit with a mean stress of zero?
SCW1

Homework Equations

sigmam=sigma max+sigma min/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 176MPa for mean stress the max stress being 320 and min stess being 32MPa and for the Goodman relation i got 159.9MPa not sure if this is right can anyone help??

Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to offer some guidance and clarification on the calculations you have attempted. Firstly, it is important to note that the given information (UTS, ratio, and endurance limit) is not enough to calculate the mean stress, maximum stress, and minimum stress. These values are dependent on the specific loading conditions and geometry of the material being tested. Therefore, I would recommend consulting with the researcher or engineer who conducted the experiment for more accurate values.

However, if we assume that the uts of 400MPa is the maximum stress and the ratio of 0.1 is the stress amplitude, then we can calculate the mean stress using the equation you have provided: sigmam = (sigma max + sigma min)/2. In this case, the mean stress would be 200MPa.

For the Goodman relation, it is used to calculate the endurance limit of a material under a mean stress. The formula is given as: S'e = Se/(1+sigma m/Sut), where S'e is the endurance limit under mean stress, Se is the endurance limit under zero mean stress, sigma m is the mean stress, and Sut is the ultimate tensile strength. In this case, if we assume a mean stress of zero, the endurance limit would be 10^7 cycles. However, if we use the mean stress calculated earlier (200MPa), the endurance limit would be approximately 10^6 cycles.

It is always important to double check your calculations and assumptions, and to consult with experts in the field for more accurate values. I hope this helps clarify the process and equations for you.

1. What is the meaning of "uts" in relation to aluminium alloy?

"UTS" stands for Ultimate Tensile Strength, which is the maximum stress that a material can withstand before breaking. In this case, the aluminium alloy has a UTS of 400MPa, meaning it can withstand a maximum stress of 400 megapascals before breaking.

2. What does it mean for the aluminium alloy to be "tested to a ratio of 0.1"?

The ratio of 0.1 refers to the ratio of the maximum stress applied to the material during testing compared to its ultimate tensile strength. In this case, the material is tested to a stress level that is 0.1 times its UTS, ensuring a safety factor of 10 and a higher level of reliability.

3. How does the UTS of 400MPa compare to other aluminium alloys?

The UTS of 400MPa is considered high for an aluminium alloy. It is higher than the UTS of most commercially available aluminium alloys, which typically range from 100-350MPa. This makes the alloy suitable for applications that require high strength and durability.

4. Can the UTS of the aluminium alloy be increased?

Yes, the UTS of the aluminium alloy can be increased by using different alloying elements, heat treatment processes, and mechanical working techniques. However, increasing the UTS may also affect other properties of the alloy, such as ductility and toughness.

5. What are the potential uses for an aluminium alloy with a UTS of 400MPa?

An aluminium alloy with a UTS of 400MPa can be used in a variety of applications that require high strength and lightweight properties. Some potential uses include aerospace components, automotive parts, and structural components in buildings and bridges.