Why do applied explanations sometimes seem more confusing than theoretical ones?

In summary, it is common for people to find applied explanations more confusing than theoretical ones due to their complexity and abstract nature. This can be attributed to a lack of prior knowledge and experience in the subject matter. However, the complexity of applied explanations can be reduced by breaking down the information, providing clear examples, and using visual aids and hands-on activities. Learning through applied explanations has several benefits, including a deeper understanding, improved critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and preparation for practical situations. To improve understanding, one can practice, seek clarification, actively engage with the material, and review underlying theoretical concepts.
Simfish
Gold Member
Is it common to find the "applied" explanations more confusing than the "theoretical"

Is it common to find the "applied" explanations more confusing than the "theoretical" ones?

E.g. thermodynamics seems VERY confusing if I try to learn it from engineering textbooks, but VERY understandable if I try to learn it from Schroeder's book.

What personal examples do you guys have of this phenomena, if any?

Physics news on Phys.org

My first encounter with the Stern-Gerlach experiment confused the hell out of me. I basically assumed that magic occurred and that I best "shut up and calculate" as Feynman would say.

1. Is it common for people to find applied explanations more confusing than theoretical ones?

Yes, it is common for people to find applied explanations more confusing than theoretical ones. This is because applied explanations involve real-world examples and practical applications, which can be more complex and abstract compared to theoretical concepts.

2. Why do some people struggle with understanding applied explanations?

Some people struggle with understanding applied explanations because they may lack prior knowledge or experience in the subject matter. Additionally, applied explanations often require a deeper understanding of the theoretical foundations and principles.

3. Can the complexity of applied explanations be reduced?

Yes, the complexity of applied explanations can be reduced by breaking down the information into smaller, more manageable chunks and providing clear and concise examples. Additionally, using visual aids and hands-on activities can also help simplify the concepts.

4. Are there any benefits to learning through applied explanations?

Yes, there are several benefits to learning through applied explanations. It allows for a deeper understanding of the subject matter as it connects theoretical concepts to real-world applications. It also promotes critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as prepares individuals for practical situations.

5. How can one improve their understanding of applied explanations?

Improving understanding of applied explanations can be achieved through practice, seeking clarification from experts or teachers, and actively engaging with the material through discussions and hands-on activities. It may also be helpful to review the underlying theoretical concepts and their applications to gain a better understanding.