Another doubt in Peskin Schroeder Sec 4.2

In summary, the conversation is discussing a doubt about a specific text in Peskin Schroeder page 86. The author struggles with understanding how to show the second statement made in the text. They were able to prove that the function mentioned in the text satisfies the boundary conditions and differential equation, but have a doubt about the original definition of U(t,t') and how it relates to the expression in their first post. Another person suggests that the difference in the two expressions may be due to the use of different pictures. The original poster further explains their understanding of the use of t_0 in the Schrodinger picture and the relation between the interaction and free fields. They ask for clarification on which expression they are unable to derive in Peskin Schro
praharmitra
This doubt is about a text in Peskin Schroeder Pg 86. I reproduce it here.
--------------------------------
[tex]U(t,t')[/tex] satisfies the same differential equation (4.18),

[tex]
i \frac{\partial}{\partial t} U(t,t') = H_I(t) U(t,t')
[/tex]

but now with the initial condition [tex]U=1[/tex] for [tex]t=t'[/tex]. From this equation you can show that

[tex]
U(t,t') = e^{iH_0(t-t_0)}e^{-iH(t-t')}e^{-iH_0(t'-t_0)}
[/tex]

-----------------------------------
Here [tex]H = H_0+H_{int} = H_{KG} + \int d^3x \frac{\lambda}{4!} \phi(\textbf{x})^4[/tex]
and
[tex] H_I = \int d^3x \frac{\lambda}{4!} \phi_I^4 [/tex].

Can anyone explain how "one can show" the second statement that Peskin Schroeder makes?

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, I have been able to prove that the function mentioned above does indeed satisfy the boundary conditions and the differential equation mentioned. So, it is after all a solution to the diffeq. Now, my doubt is this. The original definition of [itex]U(t,t_0)[/itex] was as follows (ref. Page 84)

[tex]
U(t,t_0) = e^{iH_0(t-t_0)}e^{-i H(t-t_0)}
[/tex]

Then we found the differential equation that the above satisfies so as to simplify the expression in terms of [itex]\phi_I[/itex]. However, if we use the above definition of [itex]U(t,t_0)[/itex], we surely do not reproduce the expression I have written in my first post. What is going wrong here?

I don't have my Peskin and Schroeder in front of me, but IIRC, aren't the U's different because of the pictures being considered in each case (i.e. Schrondinger vs Heisenberg vs Interaction picture)?

Maybe the first takes you from the Schrodinger Picture to the Interaction Picture, or something similar?

Just a guess. I'll try and check P&S later on.

Seems like I struggled with this same thing a ways back

The point is (I think) related to their use of a reference time [tex]t_0[/tex] which is different from their use of t'.

One defines fields at a fixed time [tex]t_0[/tex] in the Schrodinger picture (p83), and all subsequent statements about time evolution have got to make reference to this initial definition in some way, shape or form. The original definition of U relates the interaction picture field at some time t to its original definition back at [tex]t_0[/tex]. The second seems to relate the field at time t to some arbitrary earlier time, t'. I think the "extra" complex exponential appearing relates the field at t' to that at [tex]t_0[/tex]. Note that it's the free Hamiltonian [tex]H_0[/tex] that's used here, as this is what relates the interaction field configurations at two different times. What I can't work out is precisely what picture field is being related to what, a precise statement of the point of U(t,t') analogous to equation 4.16. I might try and look at this again tomorrow.

praharmitra,

Please try to phrase your question more explicitly. I've read your posts 3 times, and
I still don't know for sure what you're asking.

I can tell you that the stuff in that section of P&S is indeed correct.

I can tell you that [tex]t_0[/tex] is the time at which the fields expressed in
Heisenberg picture coincide with the fields expressed in Interaction picture.
See their eq(4.14).

Please be more explicit about which expression(s) and/or equation(s)
you're unable to derive in P&S. I.e., you said:

if we use the above definition of [tex]U(t,t_0)[/tex] , we surely do not
reproduce the expression I have written in my first post.

Which expression?
And show a detail calculation why/where you think P&S is wrong.

1. What is the significance of Peskin Schroeder Sec 4.2 in scientific research?

Peskin Schroeder Sec 4.2 is a section in the textbook "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" that covers the basics of quantum field theory and its applications in particle physics. It is an essential chapter for scientists studying fundamental interactions and the underlying principles of the universe.

2. What are the main concepts discussed in Peskin Schroeder Sec 4.2?

The main concepts discussed in Peskin Schroeder Sec 4.2 include the Klein-Gordon equation, the Dirac equation, and the field quantization of free fields. These concepts are crucial for understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions in quantum field theory.

3. How does Peskin Schroeder Sec 4.2 relate to other sections in the textbook?

Peskin Schroeder Sec 4.2 is a continuation of the previous sections in the textbook, which build upon each other to provide a comprehensive understanding of quantum field theory. It is closely related to Sec 4.1, which introduces the concept of fields, and Sec 4.3, which discusses interactions between fields.

4. What are some applications of the concepts in Peskin Schroeder Sec 4.2?

The concepts in Peskin Schroeder Sec 4.2 have various applications in particle physics, including the study of particle interactions and the behavior of particles in high-energy collisions. They are also used in understanding the behavior of fundamental forces, such as the strong and weak nuclear forces.

5. Is it necessary to fully understand Peskin Schroeder Sec 4.2 to conduct research in quantum field theory?

While a thorough understanding of all the concepts in Peskin Schroeder Sec 4.2 is not necessary, it is essential to have a working knowledge of the material to conduct research in quantum field theory. This section provides the foundation for more advanced concepts and techniques used in research in this field.