Calculating Force of a Bicycle Impact at 30 mph

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of determining the pressure or force exerted on a bicycle rim during a collision with a pot hole. The manufacturer claims a breaking point of 900 pounds but the conversation raises doubts about this and suggests conducting a physical test to determine the actual effects of a collision.
belgiumbike
I have a simple question for you but a difficult one for me.
My bicycle rim manufacturer tells me that the carbon bicycle rim brakes at 900 pounds
of pressure.

If we have a cyclist of 300 pounds riding at 30 mph and he hits a pot hole for example.
What is the amount of pressure/force he will build up on that impact ?

If that is more than 900 pounds i would think the rim will break ?

I know it is difficult because you have tires around it that absorbed the shock in real life.

Maybe you could help me out with some kind of calculation that gives me an idea ?

Thank you
Roel Vanmuysen
BelgiumBike.LLC

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Pounds is not a unit of pressure. Do you mean force or do you mean pounds per square inch? You're talking about the wheel rim, right?

Welcome!

I'm pretty sure that the reference is to pounds, as 900 psi is much higher than tire pressure, even during a pothole collision. In addition, a static test is much easier to do than some sort of dynamic test of the sort that would measure resistance to potholes.

I think your best bet is to find a 300 pound cyclist, get her up to 30 mph, and see what happens when she hits the pothole of your choice. Results will be much different depending upon pothole dimensions, wheel size, etc, etc. Her hospital bill will probably be much cheaper than the cost of a finite element analysis of her, the bike, and the pothole.

1. How do you calculate the force of a bicycle impact at 30 mph?

To calculate the force of a bicycle impact at 30 mph, you will need to use the formula: Force (F) = Mass (m) x Acceleration (a). First, determine the mass of the bicycle and rider. Then, convert 30 mph to meters per second (m/s). Finally, plug these values into the formula to calculate the force.

2. What factors can affect the force of a bicycle impact?

The force of a bicycle impact can be affected by several factors such as the speed of the bicycle, the mass of the bicycle and rider, the type of surface the impact occurs on, and the angle of impact.

3. Is the force of a bicycle impact at 30 mph dangerous?

The force of a bicycle impact at 30 mph can be dangerous, depending on the circumstances. Factors such as the type of surface and angle of impact can greatly impact the severity of the force. It is always important to wear proper safety gear while riding a bicycle.

4. How does the force of a bicycle impact compare to other types of impacts?

The force of a bicycle impact can vary greatly depending on the speed and other factors. However, in general, the force of a bicycle impact at 30 mph is lower than the force of a car impact at the same speed. It is also typically lower than the force of a pedestrian impact at the same speed.

5. Can you reduce the force of a bicycle impact?

Yes, there are ways to reduce the force of a bicycle impact. Wearing proper safety gear such as a helmet and padding can help absorb some of the force. Additionally, practicing safe riding habits such as following traffic laws and staying aware of your surroundings can help reduce the likelihood of an impact occurring.