Calculating Deflection in Ring Fixed at Center with Point Force

In summary, to find the static deflection of a ring with a radial point force acting at some point, one would need to apply boundary conditions (displacement and force) at that point and solve for the deflection.
vishal007win
How to calculate the deflection in ring, fixed at center, with a radial point force acting at some point(let say at theta=0) ?
I have derived complete set of equations. Now how to apply boundary conditions ?
to get a complete solution of 4th order equation, I need 4 B.C's, but here displacements are not specified at any point. Imposing periodicity I can get 2 more conditions
u(0)=u(2*pi)
w(0)=w(2*pi)
where u and w are radial and tangential displacements respectively
and how to apply force boundary condition in this case?

Can someone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
How to calculate the deflection in ring, fixed at center, with a radial point force acting at some point(let say at theta=0) ?

This does not make sense.

A ring has no material centre, do you mean a disk?

Perhaps a diagram?

consider the thin ring on elastic foundation(shaded portion shown in the figure is an elastic foundation(elastic membrane) which provide a support from center to ring)
The inner circle shown can be taken as mass-less and inertia-less disc.
actually resembling the tyre geometry with side walls and inner wheel drum.
now if a point load is applied at the circumference of ring. How to calculate the static deflection in this case?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 624
If h is your applied load, and the wheel does not touch the ground I still don't see equilibrium in your diagram.

How is the elastic centre supported?

Studiot said:
If h is your applied load, and the wheel does not touch the ground I still don't see equilibrium in your diagram.

How is the elastic centre supported?
h is the width of the ring.
the attachment in the above post actually resembles kind of set up shown in the figure below.. where elastic membrane resembles the sidewalls of tires and the ring represents the belt of tire and the inner disc represents the wheel drum. Now equilibrium is maintained by the reaction from the centre which is fixed(force getting transmitted by elastic membrane). i hope that makes the problem clear.
now instead of modelling contact region, if radial point force is applied at bottom, assuming the centre of wheel fixed, how to find the static deflection of ring?

Attachments

• tailwhl1.jpg
    tailwhl1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 576

1. How do you calculate the deflection in a ring fixed at the center with a point force?

The deflection in a ring fixed at the center with a point force can be calculated using the formula: Δ = (F*R^2)/(4*E*t^3), where Δ is the deflection, F is the applied force, R is the radius of the ring, E is the Young's modulus of the material, and t is the thickness of the ring.

2. What is the significance of the Young's modulus in calculating deflection?

The Young's modulus is a measure of the stiffness of a material. It indicates how much a material will deform under a given force. In the calculation of deflection in a ring fixed at the center with a point force, the Young's modulus is used to determine the resistance of the material to bending and stretching.

3. How does the radius of the ring affect the deflection?

The radius of the ring has a direct impact on the deflection. As the radius increases, the deflection also increases. This is because a larger radius means a larger surface area for the force to act upon, resulting in a greater amount of bending and stretching.

4. Can the deflection in a ring fixed at the center be reduced?

Yes, the deflection in a ring fixed at the center can be reduced by increasing the thickness of the ring or using a material with a higher Young's modulus. This will make the ring stiffer and more resistant to bending and stretching, resulting in a smaller deflection.

5. Are there any limitations to this calculation method?

This calculation method assumes that the ring is made of a homogeneous material and has a constant thickness. It also does not take into account any other external forces acting on the ring. These limitations should be considered when using this method for practical applications.