Uncertainties associated with the use of opacity meters (smoke meters)

In summary, the speaker is looking for practical instruction on how to calculate the uncertainty associated with the use of opacity meters, specifically for measuring smoke at car exhaust for diesel cars. They are seeking help in identifying influencing factors and a practical model for calculation.
johnybe
Please, I need practical instruction/calculation to find the uncertainty associated with the use of opacity meters (smoke meters). I cannot even start to calculate; I cannot find anything on this topic.
Thx a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
The uncertainty? What do you mean?

Drakkith said:
The uncertainty? What do you mean?

Well, I need to calculate uncertainty by using statistical methods, which I generally have. But I need influencing factors which are contributing to mentioned uncertainty, for instrument called opacity meter (smoke meter).
That instrument measures, if smoke at car exhaust (for diesel cars only) is too thick, literally.
Practical model of calculation would be perfect, if someone have it.

Thanks for every effort to help me.
Best regards.

1. What is an opacity meter and how does it work?

An opacity meter, also known as a smoke meter, is a device used to measure the amount of light that is blocked or scattered by particles in a gas or exhaust stream. It works by shining a light beam through the gas and measuring the amount of light that is transmitted through or reflected by the particles.

2. What are the main sources of uncertainty when using an opacity meter?

The main sources of uncertainty when using an opacity meter include variations in the measurement technique, instrument calibration, and environmental factors such as temperature and humidity. Additionally, the type and concentration of particles in the gas can also affect the accuracy of the measurement.

3. How can the accuracy of opacity meter readings be improved?

To improve the accuracy of opacity meter readings, it is important to follow proper measurement techniques and regularly calibrate the instrument. It is also helpful to minimize environmental factors and ensure that the gas sample is representative of the exhaust stream being measured.

4. Can opacity meters be used to measure the emissions from all types of sources?

No, opacity meters are primarily used to measure the emissions from diesel engines and other sources that produce visible smoke. They are not suitable for measuring the emissions from sources that produce primarily gaseous pollutants.

5. Are there any alternative methods for measuring emissions besides using an opacity meter?

Yes, there are alternative methods for measuring emissions such as using continuous emissions monitoring systems (CEMS) or using other types of instruments such as gas analyzers. However, opacity meters are still commonly used due to their simplicity and relatively low cost.