Pendulum/Simple Harmonic Motion, what is its energy of motion?

In summary, the energy of motion for a 1.2 kg mass attached to a spring oscillating with an amplitude of 5.1 cm and a frequency of 2.1 Hz can be calculated using KE=1/2mv^2, where v is the maximum velocity in simple harmonic motion (vmax=Aw). The total energy of the motion will be the maximum kinetic energy, which is constantly exchanged with elastic potential energy in the spring.
nicoleb14
A 1.2 kg mass attached to a spring oscillates with an amplitude of 5.1 cm and a frequency of 2.1 Hz. What is its energy of motion?

I just have to use KE=1/2mv^2 right?
do I have to involve the amplitude?

Physics news on Phys.org
In SHM the KE is continually varying. So you are asking for the MAX KE, right?

I just need the energy of motion, so i guess that means KE max?

The KE max will be the total energy of the motion.
You are correct to use KE=1/2mv^2 but you need an expression for vmax in simple harmonic motion. You will need to find the spring constant (stiffness) and use this to find the max velocity.
Do you know these equations?

What is the max linear velocity in SHM?

Vmax=Aw

Then you can find max ke = (1/2)mv^2 and use v = Aw

thank you sooo muuuch! :D

nicoleb14 said:
A 1.2 kg mass attached to a spring oscillates with an amplitude of 5.1 cm and a frequency of 2.1 Hz. What is its energy of motion?

I just have to use KE=1/2mv^2 right?
do I have to involve the amplitude?

Is this mass hanging from the spring, or is this whole situation taking place horizontally??

the problem doesn't say

nicoleb14 said:
the problem doesn't say

Assuming it is vertical, there is a constant interchange of elastic energy in the spring, gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy.

The total of them at any time will be constant.

That might be what is meant by the energy of the motion.

Even if the situation is horizontal [so no change in gravitational potential energy] there is a steady interchange between elastic potential energy and kinetic energy.

1. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that can freely swing back and forth due to the force of gravity.

2. How does a pendulum exhibit simple harmonic motion?

A pendulum exhibits simple harmonic motion because its motion follows a sinusoidal pattern, with its energy constantly shifting between kinetic and potential energy as it swings back and forth.

3. What factors affect the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is affected by its length and the force of gravity. The longer the pendulum, the longer the period, and the stronger the force of gravity, the shorter the period.

4. How does the energy of a pendulum change as it swings?

The energy of a pendulum changes as it swings because of the conversion between potential and kinetic energy. At the highest point of its swing, the pendulum has maximum potential energy, while at the lowest point, it has maximum kinetic energy.

5. How can the energy of a pendulum be calculated?

The energy of a pendulum can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the pendulum and v is its velocity. This equation takes into account both the kinetic and potential energy of the pendulum.