Prove: For T Compact, left or right invertible implies invertible

• Thread starter CornMuffin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compact
In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of Banach spaces and bounded/compact linear transformations. It is shown that S(I-T) = I if and only if (I-T)S = I, and that either of these equalities implies that I-(I-T)^{-1} is compact. The use of the adjoint and the Fredholm alternative are mentioned as possible approaches to proving this.
CornMuffin

Homework Statement

[itex]X[/itex] is a Banach space
[itex]S\in B(X)[/itex] (Bounded linear transformation from X to X)
[itex]T\in K(X)[/itex] (Compact bounded linear transformation from X to X)

[itex]S(I-T)=I[/itex] if and only if [itex](I-T)S=I[/itex]

The question also asks to show that either of these equalities implies that [itex]I-(I-T)^{-1}[/itex] is compact.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried using the adjoint, cause S is invertible if and only if S* is invertible. but that didn't get me anywhere.

If there happens to be a theorem that says ST = TS, then it would be easy, but i couldn't find anything like that. For the second part:
[itex]S(I-T)=I\Rightarrow S-ST=I \Rightarrow S=I+ST[/itex]
[itex]I-(I-T)^{-1} = I-S = I-(I+ST) = ST [/itex]
And ST is compact since T is compact

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Fredholm alternative.

1. What does it mean for a matrix to be "compact"?

A compact matrix is a finite-dimensional matrix with a limited number of elements. This means that it has a finite number of rows and columns, making it easier to work with and analyze.

2. What does it mean for a matrix to be "left invertible"?

A matrix is left invertible if there exists another matrix that, when multiplied on the left, gives the identity matrix. In other words, if A is left invertible, then there exists a matrix B such that BA = I.

3. What does it mean for a matrix to be "right invertible"?

A matrix is right invertible if there exists another matrix that, when multiplied on the right, gives the identity matrix. In other words, if A is right invertible, then there exists a matrix B such that AB = I.

4. What is the significance of a matrix being both left and right invertible?

If a matrix is both left and right invertible, then it is also invertible. This means that there exists a matrix B such that AB = BA = I, and A is said to have an inverse, denoted as A-1.

5. How does this statement, "For a compact matrix, left or right invertible implies invertible," relate to linear algebra?

This statement is a fundamental result in linear algebra that shows the relationship between compact matrices and invertibility. It means that for a compact matrix, if it is either left or right invertible, then it must also be invertible, and vice versa. This result is useful in solving systems of linear equations and understanding the properties of matrices.