Solving Spontaneous Reactions Homework: ΔG -270 kJ

In summary: The correct reaction quotient is actually Q = (pB)^4*[C].In summary, the ΔG for the vaporization of boron carbide at 2600 K is 1044 kJ and the process is not spontaneous. The reaction quotient is Q = (pB)^4*[C] and the activity of solids is assumed to be 1 in this context.
τheory

Homework Statement

At 2600 K, ΔG° = 775 kJ for the vaporization of boron carbide:
[itex]B_{4}C (s) ⇔ 4 B (g) + C (s)[/itex]

Find ΔG and determine if the process is spontaneous if the reaction vessel contains 4.00 mol of [itex]B_{4}C (s)[/itex], 0.400 mol of [itex]C (s)[/itex], and [itex] B (g)[/itex] at a partial pressure of 1.0 x 10^-5 atm. At this temperature, R T = 21.6 kJ

2. The attempt at a solution

I first tried to find the reaction quotient but quickly realized that they did not give me the volume for this vessel. Thus, I just plugged everything into the reaction quotient (products/reactants) and got Q = 1*10^-21.

Then I plugged that into the ΔG = -RT*ln(Q) equation:

ΔG = -RT*ln(Q)
ΔG = -(21.6 J * 1000)*ln(1*10^-21)
ΔG = 1.044*10^6 J = 1044 kJ

The answer on the back of the book says that ΔG is in fact -270 kJ; how is this the answer? What mistake did I do in my calculations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please write the reaction quotient.

[itex]Q=\frac{(pB)^4*[C]}{[B_{4}C]}[/itex]

What do you know about solids in this context?

Um all I can figure out is that the solids are within a closed vessel and that the temperature also appears to be 2600 K since 21.6kJ/8.314 = 2600. The only issue regarding the solid is that I don't know what the volume is, which is prohibiting me from finding the concentration mol/L.

The only other thing is that maybe I have the wrong idea of how concentration of a solid works?

Activity of solids is assumed to be 1, so they are not present in the reaction quotient.

What is the ΔG value in this spontaneous reaction?

The ΔG value in a spontaneous reaction is a measure of the change in free energy. In this case, the value is -270 kJ, indicating that the reaction is highly exergonic and favorable.

What does the negative sign in front of the ΔG value indicate?

The negative sign in front of the ΔG value indicates that the reaction is exergonic, meaning it releases energy. This is a characteristic of spontaneous reactions.

How is the ΔG value related to the equilibrium constant (K)?

The ΔG value is directly related to the equilibrium constant (K) through the equation ΔG = -RTln(K). This allows us to determine the spontaneity of a reaction based on its equilibrium constant.

What factors affect the spontaneity of a reaction?

The spontaneity of a reaction is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and concentration. These factors can change the values of ΔG and K, ultimately determining whether a reaction is spontaneous or not.

Can a reaction with a positive ΔG value ever be spontaneous?

No, a reaction with a positive ΔG value is always non-spontaneous. This means that the reaction requires an input of energy to occur and will not occur on its own.