Need to find c in a quadratic equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of k in the equation 5x^2 + 13x + k when given the roots alpha and 1/alpha or 1/alpha^2. The conversation includes attempts at solving the question using various methods and seeking help in finding a solution.
chomsky

Homework Statement

If α and [itex]\frac{1}{αα}[/itex]are the roots of the equation [itex]5x^{2}+13x+k[/itex] then k will be:

a) 5
b) -5
c) 13
d) 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried multiplying both the roots to get [itex]\frac{c}{a}[/itex] and adding the roots to get [itex]\frac{-b}{a}\frac{}{}[/itex], and then I've tried to add the sum and the product of the roots on the LHS and corresponding to it, [itex]\frac{c}{a}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{-b}{a}[/itex] on the RHS. But I just can't get the answer, and I can't figure out how to solve this any differently. Any help or ideas on how to go about solving this type of question would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi chomsky!

Is the second root [itex]1/\alpha[/itex] or [itex]1/\alpha^2[/itex]?

If it is the the first, the question would be really simple, as their product is

[tex]\alpha \cdot \frac{1}{\alpha} = \frac{k}{5}[/tex]
What does this give you? :wink:If the second, you won't get an answer matching your options. But you can use the relation from product of roots and substitute it in the equation from sum of roots to get a cubic equation in k.

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a polynomial equation of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is a type of algebraic equation that involves a squared term.

2. What is the standard form of a quadratic equation?

The standard form of a quadratic equation is ax^2 + bx + c = 0. This form is useful for solving and graphing quadratic equations.

3. How do I find the value of c in a quadratic equation?

To find the value of c in a quadratic equation, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2-4ac)) / 2a. Plug in the values for a, b, and c, and solve for x. The constant c will be the number that appears after the x term.

4. What is the significance of c in a quadratic equation?

The constant c in a quadratic equation represents the y-intercept of the parabola that the equation creates when graphed. It is also known as the constant term and determines the position of the vertex of the parabola.

5. Can c be negative in a quadratic equation?

Yes, c can be negative in a quadratic equation. This will result in a parabola that opens downwards instead of upwards. The value of c will still determine the position of the vertex, but it will be below the x-axis rather than above it.