Greens functions inspection method

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of greens functions and Fourier transforms to solve differential equations in physics. It provides an example of solving Poisson's equation in electromagnetism and then attempts to apply the same method to a one-dimensional equation. However, a mistake is made in the contour integration and the correct solution is found to be sin(x-x'). It is noted that this method produces correct special solutions, but may require setting x=x' to get the correct solution. The question is raised about whether this method can be applied to other examples and what limits of integration should be chosen.
center o bass
Hi! A nice method for solving differential equations that occur in physics utilize greens functions as well as the Fourier transform of the delta function to solve them partially by inspection. For example in electromagnetism Poisson's equation reads
[tex]\nabla^2 \phi = - \rho/\varepsilon_0[/tex]
which can be solved by using the greens function
[tex]\nabla^2 G(\vec r,\vec r') = \delta(\vec r-\vec r') = \frac{1}{(2\pi)^3} \int e^{\vec k \cdot(\vec r-\vec r')}d^3\vec k[/tex]
where the right hand side is the Fourier integral of the 3 dimensional delta function (integration is understood to be over all space). Now if we inspect the equation above one sees that
[tex]G(\vec r,\vec r') = -\frac{1}{(2\pi)^3} \int \frac{e^{\vec k \cdot(\vec r-\vec r')}}{k^2}d^3\vec k[/tex]
satisfies it. This is the 'inspection step'.
Now by performing the integration one gets
[tex]G = - \frac{ 1}{4\pi |\vec r - \vec r'|}[/tex]
and by substituting back into
[tex] \phi = \int G(\vec r, \vec r') (\frac{-\rho(\vec r')}{\varepsilon_0}) d^3\vec r' = \frac{1}{4\pi \varepsilon_0 }\int \frac{\rho(\vec r')}{|\vec r - \vec r'|} d^3\vec r'[/tex]
one get the correct equation for the electrostatic potential. These kind of arguments inspired me to try the same thing out for one dimensional equations like for example

[tex](\frac{d^2}{dx^2} + 1)f(x) = \frac{1}{sin(x)}[/tex]
Using the same procedure
[tex] (\frac{d^2}{dx^2} + 1)G(x,x') = \delta(x-x')= \frac{1}{2\pi}\int e^{ik(x-x')}dk[/tex]
inspection indicates that
[tex]G(x,x') = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int\frac{ e^{ik(x-x')}}{1-k^2}dk[/tex]
But solving this equation by complex contour integration I get an imaginary greens function which is nonsense.

Specifically I did it like
[tex]G(x,x') = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int\frac{ e^{ik(x-x')}}{1-k^2}dk = \frac{1}{2\pi (x-x')} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{iy}}{1-(\frac{y}{x-x'})^2}dy = \frac{2 \pi (x-x')}2\pi i = \frac{i}{x-x'}[/tex]
which would give a solution
[tex]f(x) = i \int \frac{1}{x-x'} \frac{1}{\sin x'} dx'[/tex]

I see that we get some problems above with divergences when x=x', however I do not see that we do _not_ get these problems in the higher dimensional examples.

So the question is if it's something special with my electromagnetic example above or numerous other examples (from physics) which allows them to be solved by this method? And what is it about the one dimensional example above which does not allow it to be solved by this method?

Is there some way that allows it to be solved?

Physics news on Phys.org
center o bass;3971199 [tex said:
G(x,x') = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int\frac{ e^{ik(x-x')}}{1-k^2}dk[/tex]
But solving this equation by complex contour integration I get an imaginary greens function which is nonsense.

Up until this point you are fine. It is in the contour integration that you made a mistake. I did it this way: define [tex]f(k)=\frac{ e^{ik(x-x')}}{2\pi(1-k^2)}[/tex] and consider
[tex]\int_\gamma dk \, f(k)[/tex]
where [itex]\gamma[/itex] has several parts: 1) goes along the real axis from [itex]-R[/itex] to [itex]-1-\epsilon_1[/itex], 2) is a ccw semicircle of radius [itex]\epsilon_1[/itex] about [itex]k=-1[/itex], 3) along the real axis from [itex]-1+\epsilon_1[/itex] to [itex]1-\epsilon_2[/itex], 4) a ccw semicircle of radius [itex]\epsilon_2[/itex] about [itex]k=1[/itex], 5) along the real axis from [itex]1+\epsilon_2[/itex] to [itex]R[/itex], and 6) is a ccw semicircle of radius [itex]R[/itex]. Take limit as [itex]R\rightarrow\infty, \, \epsilon_1\rightarrow 0,\epsilon_2\rightarrow 0 [/itex] and use residue theorem. I end up with,
[tex]G(x,x') = \frac{\sin( x' - x)}{2}[/tex]

I may have made a mistake, but at least this may help.

jason

jasonRF said:
Up until this point you are fine. It is in the contour integration that you made a mistake. I did it this way: define [tex]f(k)=\frac{ e^{ik(x-x')}}{2\pi(1-k^2)}[/tex] and consider
[tex]\int_\gamma dk \, f(k)[/tex]
where [itex]\gamma[/itex] has several parts: 1) goes along the real axis from [itex]-R[/itex] to [itex]-1-\epsilon_1[/itex], 2) is a ccw semicircle of radius [itex]\epsilon_1[/itex] about [itex]k=-1[/itex], 3) along the real axis from [itex]-1+\epsilon_1[/itex] to [itex]1-\epsilon_2[/itex], 4) a ccw semicircle of radius [itex]\epsilon_2[/itex] about [itex]k=1[/itex], 5) along the real axis from [itex]1+\epsilon_2[/itex] to [itex]R[/itex], and 6) is a ccw semicircle of radius [itex]R[/itex]. Take limit as [itex]R\rightarrow\infty, \, \epsilon_1\rightarrow 0,\epsilon_2\rightarrow 0 [/itex] and use residue theorem. I end up with,
[tex]G(x,x') = \frac{\sin( x' - x)}{2}[/tex]

I may have made a mistake, but at least this may help.

jason

Thank you Jason. I checked it up and it turned out that the answer was sin(x-x'). I then get an answer

[tex]f(x) = \int_a^b \frac{\sin(x-x')}{\sin x'} dx' = \left[\sin x \ln(\sin x') - \cos x x'\right]_a^b[/tex]

if I now chose a = x then this produces the correct answer. However I am unsure of an argument on how to choose the suitable integration limits. The method seem to produce correct special solutions, but not without somehow setting x=x'.

1. What is the Greens functions inspection method?

The Greens functions inspection method is a mathematical technique used to solve differential equations. It involves representing the solution as a sum of Green's functions, which are solutions to simpler equations with known solutions.

2. How does the Greens functions inspection method work?

The Greens functions inspection method involves breaking down a complex differential equation into simpler equations with known solutions. These solutions are then combined using Green's functions to find the solution to the original equation.

3. What are the benefits of using the Greens functions inspection method?

The Greens functions inspection method allows for the solution of complex differential equations by breaking them down into simpler equations. This can save time and effort compared to other methods, such as numerical integration.

4. What types of problems can be solved using the Greens functions inspection method?

The Greens functions inspection method can be used to solve a wide range of problems, including boundary value problems, initial value problems, and systems of equations. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields of science.

5. Are there any limitations to the Greens functions inspection method?

One limitation of the Greens functions inspection method is that it is not always applicable to all types of differential equations. In some cases, the equations may be too complex to break down into simpler equations, making this method ineffective. It also requires a certain level of mathematical understanding and skill to apply effectively.