Wave equation with nonhomogenous neumann BC

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for an analytic solution to the wave equation with non-homogeneous neumann boundary conditions in a bounded or semi-infinite domain. The general solution is given as u = u1(x - c*t) + u2(x + c*t) and it is mentioned that two boundary conditions are needed to fully determine u1 and u2. The person asking for help is seeking a source for the solution.
Mugged
I've been searching online for the past week but can't seem to find what I am looking for.

I need the analytic solution to the wave equation: utt - c^2*uxx = 0

with neumann boundary conditions that are not homogeneous, i.e. ux(0,t) = A, for nonzero A.

also, the domain i require the solution to be in is a bounded domain (0 to L) or better yet the semi-infinite domain (0 to ∞)

can anyone refer me to a source?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
So it's utt - c2uxx = 0
([noparse]utt - c2uxx = 0[/noparse])

The general solution is easy: u = u1(x - c*t) + u2(x + c*t)
for arbitrary functions u1 and u2.
One can find it by changing variables to w1 = x - c*t and w2 = x + c*t

One can see from that solution that a single boundary condition won't be enough to fix u1 and u2. One will need two boundary conditions for that.

I need more than the general solution

Have you tried solving it yourself?

for your question. The wave equation with nonhomogeneous Neumann boundary conditions is a common problem in physics and engineering, and there are many sources available that provide solutions to this equation. One possible source is the book "Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers" by Stanley J. Farlow, which includes a section on the wave equation with nonhomogeneous boundary conditions. Another helpful resource is the website "MathWorld" by Eric W. Weisstein, which provides a detailed explanation and derivation of the solution to this equation. Additionally, you may want to consult with a colleague or mentor in your field who has experience with this type of problem and can provide guidance and references.

1. What is the wave equation with nonhomogenous Neumann boundary conditions?

The wave equation with nonhomogenous Neumann boundary conditions is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of a wave in a given medium. It includes a nonhomogenous term, which accounts for any external forces acting on the wave, and the Neumann boundary conditions specify the behavior of the wave at the boundaries of the medium.

2. How do nonhomogenous Neumann boundary conditions differ from other boundary conditions?

Nonhomogenous Neumann boundary conditions differ from other boundary conditions in that they include a nonhomogenous term, which represents any external forces acting on the wave. This makes them more useful for modeling real-world situations where waves are affected by external factors.

3. What is the significance of Neumann boundary conditions in the wave equation?

Neumann boundary conditions are important in the wave equation because they specify the behavior of the wave at the boundaries of the medium. Without these conditions, the solution to the wave equation would not be unique, and it would be impossible to accurately model the behavior of waves in real-world situations.

4. Can nonhomogenous Neumann boundary conditions be applied to any type of wave?

Yes, nonhomogenous Neumann boundary conditions can be applied to any type of wave, as long as the wave can be described by the wave equation. This includes electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and water waves.

5. How are nonhomogenous Neumann boundary conditions solved in practice?

Solving the wave equation with nonhomogenous Neumann boundary conditions involves using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables and Fourier series, to find a general solution. This solution can then be used to solve for specific boundary conditions and initial conditions, providing a complete description of the wave's behavior in the given medium.