The appropriate way of creating Campbell Diagram

• Thread starter JimLin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagram
In summary, the equation f=sqrt(a+ b*ω^2) is derived from assumptions about the way the stiffness changes with rotation speed and the assumption that the vibration mode shapes don't change with speed. This equation is pretty accurate for component dynamics.
JimLin
I would like to discuss different ways of creating the Campbell Diagram (from FEA results) used in dynamics. If you have frequency at bench (70F and zero speed) and frequency at the max speed (with temperature), you can either connect these two points directly by a straight line, or you can also use formula with second order ( f = a + b * w^2) or a square root of sum of square. Anyone wants to share experience ?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends what physics is involved in changing the frequencies. If gyroscopic/coriolis forces are important, your quadratic formula doesn't represent the physics.

If the gyro effects are negligible but the stiffness changes with stress (e.g. the frequencies of flexible blades on a rigid rotor) a better formula would be to say that ##K = K_e + \omega^2 K_\sigma## where ##K_e## iis the elastic stiffness and ##K_\sigma## the stiffness from the internal stresses. Since ##f = \sqrt{ K/M }## (approximately, assuming the mode shapes don't change much) this leads to the relationship ## f = \sqrt{a + b\omega^2}##.

If the temperature changes you might want to scale ##K_e## for the temperature corresponding to different speeds as well - in other words ##a## is some function of ##\omega##, not a constant.

Gven the number of assumptions in all this, it may be simpler just to run the analysis at several speeds across the range.

Thanks. I agree with you. I am talking about component dynamics and there is no gyro included.
How do you come up with this equation f=sqrt (a+ b*ω^2) ? Is it listed in any document ?
To my understanding, it is actually one of the formulas used by many industries.

a = f0^2 b = (f_max^2 - f0^2) / ω_max^2
where f0 is the freq at bench and f_max is the freq at max speed, ω_max is the max speed

JimLin said:
How do you come up with this equation f=sqrt (a+ b*ω^2) ? Is it listed in any document ?
My earler post derives it from assumptions about the way the stiffness changes with rotation speed, and the assumption that the vibration mode shapes don't chage with speed.

It has been around for a very long time. I can't remember where I first came across it. Here's a reference from the 1960s (see eq 4). http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19890068582_1989068582.pdf

Thanks for reply. That article emphasized on the stiffening due to CF load. In real engine test, the softening effect due to temperature (especially for turbomachinery) actually was built in the stiffness ( where you wrote K2= k1 + K3*w^2). That's why some of the frequencies of some natural modes actually decrease with speed; while some others increase with speed.

The correlation using another formula f = a + b*w^2 is pretty good too (for component dynamics). Nice to talk to you.

1. What is a Campbell Diagram?

A Campbell Diagram is a graphical representation of the natural frequencies and mode shapes of a structure or system. It is used to analyze the dynamic behavior of the structure under different loading conditions.

2. How is a Campbell Diagram created?

A Campbell Diagram is created by plotting the natural frequencies of the structure on the vertical axis and the rotational speed or frequency of the loading on the horizontal axis. The resulting curve is then analyzed to determine any potential resonance or instability issues.

3. What is the purpose of creating a Campbell Diagram?

The purpose of creating a Campbell Diagram is to identify potential resonance or instability issues that may occur in a structure under different loading conditions. This allows engineers to design structures that can withstand these conditions and prevent any potential failures.

4. What type of structures can be analyzed using a Campbell Diagram?

A Campbell Diagram can be used to analyze any type of structure that experiences rotational or vibrational loading, such as turbines, engines, or bridges.

5. What are some common software programs used to create Campbell Diagrams?

Some common software programs used to create Campbell Diagrams include ANSYS, MATLAB, and MSC Nastran. These programs allow for accurate and efficient analysis of complex structures.