Accelerating object problem

In summary, the problem involves an object with an initial velocity of +4 m/s and a constant acceleration of -17 m/s2. The first three parts of the problem are completed easily, finding the time at which the velocity reaches zero, the distance from the starting position at that time, and the time at which the object passes through the starting position again. The fourth part introduces a second object with a constant speed of 4 m/s and asks when the paths of the two objects will cross. However, since one object has a constant speed and the other has a deceleration, they will never be in the same place at the same time again.
rdn98
Here is the problem from one of my online homework site. :-(

An object starts at time t = 0 with a velocity of v0 = +4 m/s and undergoes a constant acceleration of a = -17 m/s2.

There's five small parts to this problem but I got 4/5 done. I'll post them anyway to give you guys a clearer picture of what's happening here.

a) At what time does the speed of the object reach zero?
I used the equation v=vo+at. and I got the correct answer of t1=.235 seconds.Ok, that was easy.

b) How far from its starting (t = 0) position is the object at time t1?
This one I used the equation x-x0=(v0)t+(.5)(a)t^2
where x0=0, t=.235, a=-17
Answer I got was D=470 meters. Ok, that was easy too.

c) At what time does the object again pass through the starting (t = 0) position?
This I wasn't sure about. I figured if it took .235 seconds to reach a velocity of 0, then another .235 seconds would make it zero again. I typed in the answer .470 seconds. It's right, but I would like to know if this is the right reasoning, or is there another mathematical way of getting the correct answer?

d) If the object had initially been moving twice as fast (8 m/s), how far would it have gone before its velocity reached zero?
This I did the same thing with problem 1 and two, but used a different velocity number. The answer is 1.88m.

Now, this is where I get stuck...

e) Suppose a second object begins moving with a constant speed of v = 4 m/s in the same direction from the same location at the same time as the object in part (d). At what time do the paths of these two objects once again cross?

I know I have to derive equations which describe the x-position of both objects and set these equal to each other and solve for time. But I don't know how to derive the equations. I tried setting up two equations equal to each other, but the time I get is 0, which is wrong. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Although your answer to (a) is "correct", I would prefer the exact answer "4/17" to "0.235".

The "clean" way to do (c) is to note that, since the initial position was at 0, x=(v0)t+(.5)(a)t^2 (as you have) and then determine when x= 0 by setting (v0)t+(.5)(a)t^2= 0 and solving for t. That's a quadratic and has two solutions. Since it factors as
t( v0+ (.5)at)= 0, one obvious solutions is t= 0 (it was at 0 when t=0) and the other is t= -v0/(.5a): the second time it is at 0.

e) shouldn't be hard. You know the general equation (you used it before) x- x0= (v0)t+ (.5)(a)t^2. In the previous problems, you had an object that started at x0= 0 with v0= 4 and a= -17 so
x= 4t- (17/2)t^2. The new object starts with x0= 0, v0= 0 and a= 0 (because it has CONSTANT speed) so for it x= 4t. You are asked when the two "paths cross". Since they are moving in a straight line, I assume that means "are at the same place at the same time". Do exactly what you said: set the equations for x equal to one another.
Since the two objects are to have the same x for the same t,
x= 4t- (17/2) t^2= 4t.
That's what you did, right? And you canceled the 4t terms to get
-(17/2) t^2= 0 which has only the solution t=0, right?

Okay- have the courage of your convictions and answer "the two objects are NEVER in the same place at the same time again!"

Think of two cars driving east at the same speed. One continues east at constant speed, the other slows steadily, comes to a stop, and then goes in reverse, going west. It gets left far behind by the first car.

I think e) is referred to d) part in which the car has v0=8 m/s.
The answer is obviously 32/17 m.

What is the "Accelerating Object Problem"?

The "Accelerating Object Problem" is a physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object that is accelerating, meaning its speed is changing over time.

What are the key equations used to solve the "Accelerating Object Problem"?

The key equations used to solve the "Accelerating Object Problem" are Newton's Second Law of Motion (F=ma), the equations of motion (v=u+at and s=ut+0.5at^2), and the Kinematic Equations (v^2=u^2+2as).

What are some real-life examples of the "Accelerating Object Problem"?

Some real-life examples of the "Accelerating Object Problem" include a car accelerating from a stop, a ball being thrown upward, and a roller coaster going down a hill.

How can the "Accelerating Object Problem" be solved using calculus?

The "Accelerating Object Problem" can be solved using calculus by taking the derivative of the acceleration equation to find the velocity equation, and then taking the derivative of the velocity equation to find the position equation. This allows for more precise calculations for objects with varying acceleration.

What are some common misconceptions about the "Accelerating Object Problem"?

Some common misconceptions about the "Accelerating Object Problem" include thinking that acceleration and velocity are the same thing, not considering the effect of air resistance, and neglecting to factor in the initial velocity of the object.