Solving Water Stream Problem: Height of Wall Impacted

In summary, the water exits from the nozzle of a hose at a speed of 16m/s and the vertical wall of a burning building is a horizontal distance of 4.0m away from the nozzle. If the nozzle is pointing at an angle of 40 degrees above horizontal, it takes 0.33 seconds for the water to travel from the nozzle to the wall and the water hits the wall at a height of 2.8m above the nozzle. To maximize the height of the water on the wall, the angle of the nozzle needs to be calculated using calculus. By applying the second law of Newton and setting the condition that the water reaches the wall at a height of "h", the equation h=h(\theta)
ProBasket
a stream of water exits from the nozzle of a hose at a speed of 16m/s. the vertical wall of a burning building is a horizontal distance D=4.0 m away from the nozzle. I understand and got the correct answers for the first two questions, but i need help on the third question.

1.) if the nozzle is pointing at an angle of 40 Degrees above horizontal, how long does it take for the water to travel from the nozzle to the wall? 0.33s (it's correct, no need to check)

2.) At what height above the nozzle does the water hit the wall? 2.8 m ( this is also correct)

ok, I'm stuck on the third question...

3.) If the angle of the nozzle is changed to maximize the height of the water of the wall, what height above the nozzle does the water hit the wall?

The thing i don't understand is finding the angle of the nozzle when it's changed to the maximize height of the water. can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know calculus...?If so,then compute the function height on the wall vs.angle, then maximize this function and then compute the maximal value...

Daniel.

i do know calculus, but i don't know what you just said. please explain with details. the answer is 12.8m, but i don't know how to get that answer. I'm trying to study for a test, so any help is appreciated. maybe if you explain it in a non-math/less math term, i would be able to understand.

"compute the function height on the wall vs.angle"

how would i do that?

Last edited:
The equations of motion are simple to get,by applying the second law of Newton for constant gravity field.
[tex] x(t)=v_{0}\cos \theta \ t [/tex]
[tex] y(t)=v_{0}\sin \theta \ t-\frac{1}{2}gt^{2} [/tex]

Put the condition that the water flow reaches the wall at the height "h" and then eliminate "t' between the 2 equations.You'll end up with an equation h=h(\theta).
Post that equation,please...

Daniel.

[tex]h = \frac{v(0)^2*sin(theta)^2}{2g}[/tex]

this one?

Nope,that's 2 simple...Another one,please...

Daniel.

HINT:It contains tangent & secant squared.

h = tan(theta)*D-1/2*g(D/vo*cos(theta))^2

Perfect,now maximize & extract maximum value (don't bother computing the 2-nd derivative to convince yourself of the maximum value)...

Daniel.

"maximize & extract maximum value" <--- what do you mean?

do you just want me to plug in the values and find h?
if so, h = 3.17

No, find [itex]dh/d\theta[/itex], and set this to zero. That will give you the optimal [itex]\theta[/itex]. Plug this into find h.

Besides, how did you get that number without knowing the optimal angle ?

i got

[itex]dh/d\theta[/itex] = [tex]d(sec^2(\theta)+ \frac{d*g*cos(\theta)*sin(\theta)}{v_0^2})[/tex]

so I'm trying to solve for theta right?

is this correct so far?

It is incorrect.Pay attention with the differentiation of [itex] -\frac{1}{\cos^{2}\theta} [/itex]

Daniel.

Also, you seem to have squared the velocity in the denominator.

It was supposed to be squared,Gokul.

Daniel.

Oops sorry...ignore that.

1. How can the height of a wall impact water stream problems?

The height of a wall can impact water stream problems by affecting the force and velocity of the water as it flows down the wall. A higher wall will create a greater distance for the water to fall, resulting in a stronger force and faster flow. This can cause issues with erosion, flooding, and other related problems.

2. What factors should be considered when trying to solve water stream problems related to wall height?

There are several factors that should be considered when trying to solve water stream problems related to wall height. These include the height and material of the wall, the slope of the terrain, the volume and velocity of the water, and any potential obstructions or barriers that may affect the flow of water.

3. How can the impact of a wall's height on water stream problems be mitigated?

The impact of a wall's height on water stream problems can be mitigated through various methods such as proper drainage systems, erosion control measures, and strategic placement of the wall. Additionally, creating natural buffers such as vegetation can help absorb and redirect the force of the water.

4. Are there any benefits to having a higher wall in terms of water stream problems?

Having a higher wall can potentially provide benefits in terms of water stream problems, such as preventing flooding or directing water flow to a desired location. However, these benefits should be carefully considered in comparison to potential negative impacts, such as increased erosion or damage to surrounding areas.

5. How can scientific principles and data be applied to solving water stream problems related to wall height?

Scientific principles and data can be applied to solving water stream problems related to wall height by conducting thorough analysis and measurements of the water flow, wall structure, and surrounding environment. This can help determine the most effective solutions and strategies for mitigating any negative impacts caused by the wall's height on water stream problems.