Designing a Damped Pendulum with a Forcing Function for Timekeeping

• Thread starter Crosson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary: However, this is a problem that can be solved numerically. In summary, Daniel designed a pendulum that uses a forcing function to keep it oscillating. His solution involved finding the magnitude of the delta function and incorporating friction into the equation.
Crosson
This was part of the final in my ODE class last semester:

"Design a pendulum to be used as a clock. It should include friction and a forcing function. "

Of course, by "design" I mean write the equation of motion. My class did not come up with very good answers, I would like to see what you guys come up with.

This was my solution (which I will explain):

[tex] m\ddot{x} + b\dot{x}^2 + mglSin(x) = C\delta (x - x_m_a_x) [/tex]

Where m is the mass, b is the dampening constant and L is the length of the pendulum. C is the constant that took most of the work, finding the magnitude of the delta function.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Crosson said:
This was part of the final in my ODE class last semester:

"Design a pendulum to be used as a clock. It should include friction and a forcing function. "

Of course, by "design" I mean write the equation of motion. My class did not come up with very good answers, I would like to see what you guys come up with.

This was my solution (which I will explain):

[tex] m\ddot{x} + b\dot{x}^2 + Lx = C\delta (x - x_m_a_x) [/tex]

Where m is the mass, b is the dampening constant and L is the length of the pendulum. C is the constant that took most of the work, finding the magnitude of the delta function.

May I ask why you didn't use the standard (non-linear) form:

[tex]ml^2\theta^{''}+b\theta^{'}+mgl\sin(\theta)=A\cos(w_d t)[/tex]

And then solve it numerically?

As for friction,well,for small velocities,u can assume it to be linear in the modulus of the velocity vector...And why do you have that "delta-Dirac" in the RHS,is this supposed to be an equation for the Green function...??

Daniel.

First, I had a mistake in my solution above, so check that out.

Yes Salty Dog, that is what everyone else in my class did. I think that is a bad answer to a good question because:

1) Trial and error numerics should be a last resort.

2) If you already have a forcing function capable of oscillating at any frequency, then why would you build a clock? i.e. my classmates submitted an applied math solution to a non-problem: how to build a clock using a clock.

Okay Dexter, here is how I approached the problem:

"A necessary but insufficient condition for the pendulum to tick regularly is that the frictional force and the forcing function together contribute zero work (over some interval)".

This is not necessary if the length of the pendulum varies, but in my solution it does not. I hope it is clear that I am saying: all the energy the frictional force takes away from B to A to B has to be put back by the forcing function by the time we get back to B.

To avoid the complexity of the forcing function being out a phase, I have it depend on theta (same force in the same spot, regardless of time). Furthermore, I make the physically realistic assumption that a hammer delivers the required impulse over an infinitesmally brief interval, hence the dirac-delta as a forcing function.

That is the conceptual approach, all that remains is to do the math to calculate the coefficient of the dirac-delta.

Alright, how about this:

How did you solve the homogeneous case and can you report that solution?

The equation of motion is the solution to the question. The difficulty is to design an equation of motion whos solution will be a regularly periodic function, without being able to solve the differential equation.

1. What is an open ended ODE problem?

An open ended ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies a given differential equation with a set of boundary conditions. Unlike closed ended ODE problems, open ended ODE problems do not have a specific interval or range of values for the independent variable, making them more complex and requiring special techniques for solving.

2. How do open ended ODE problems differ from closed ended ODE problems?

Open ended ODE problems do not have a specific interval or range of values for the independent variable, while closed ended ODE problems do. This means that open ended ODE problems require different techniques for solving, as the solution must satisfy the boundary conditions at all possible values of the independent variable.

3. What are some common techniques for solving open ended ODE problems?

Some common techniques for solving open ended ODE problems include separation of variables, power series methods, and numerical methods such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method. These techniques can be used to approximate the solution to the problem or find a general solution that satisfies the given differential equation and boundary conditions.

4. Why are open ended ODE problems important in science?

Open ended ODE problems are important in science because they allow us to model and understand complex systems and phenomena. Many natural processes can be described using differential equations, and open ended ODE problems allow us to study these processes without limiting the range of values for the independent variable. This makes them useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.

5. What are some real-world applications of open ended ODE problems?

Open ended ODE problems have many real-world applications, including modeling population growth, predicting chemical reactions, and analyzing electrical circuits. They are also used in fields such as economics, meteorology, and medicine to understand and predict various phenomena. Additionally, many computer simulations and models use open ended ODE problems to simulate and study complex systems.