Understanding demand and supply curves

In summary, the graph given does not match the equation given, and the graph given does not match the alternative equation that I provided.
dpa
Hi everyone, I am having hardtime understanding this problem.
I have two functions:
QD = 5600 – 8P
QS = 500 + 4P

Why is the graph like the one attached and not the normal mathematical graph where supply curve starts from y=(0,-125)?
Do ignore the consumer surplus and producer surplus part. That is irrelevant.
How (and why) do we proceed in this way in our calculations?

Attachments

• asdasd.PNG
    asdasd.PNG
    4.6 KB · Views: 614
Physics news on Phys.org
P is the dependent variable in the graph. Rearrange the two equations and it will make sense (or reflect the graph about y=x). This is the one really annoying thing about an introduction to economics, you just get used to it. They always consider quantity to be a function of price but interchange them when graphing.

Suppose I rearrange the equations,
then P=700-0.125QD [which is fine without reflection and same as QD=5600-QD]
But, next P=0.25QS-125 but the graph is for 0.25QS+125. Note the + and _ after QS. It works with reflection. but not normally. Is there a certain convention. I mean am I always supposed to reflect along y=x line for supply curve only?
But then suppose we had QS=-500+4P. Would its y-intercept be (0,-125)?

Sorry, I didn't notice that. Algebra is still algebra, somebody made an error. The supply curve graphed is not the equation given. My guess is that they intended QS=4P-500 because the equation as written makes no sense. It implies that a producer would be willing to offer a supply of 500 at a price of zero which is absurd. So your equation is wrong, the graph given does not match the equation given, and the graph given does not match the alternative equation that I provided. They clearly intended that the producer would not offer anything until the price hit 125 but they messed up the whole thing. You should point this out. You have not lost your mind. :)

alan2 said:
P is the dependent variable in the graph. Rearrange the two equations and it will make sense (or reflect the graph about y=x). This is the one really annoying thing about an introduction to economics, you just get used to it. They always consider quantity to be a function of price but interchange them when graphing.
Yeah, that is a little weird. But I find it's a useful convention when including the various cost curves (eg. marginal and average total cost) on the same graph as the demand curve, since cost is a function of quantity produced.

1. What is the basic concept of demand and supply curves?

The demand and supply curve is a graphical representation of the relationship between the quantity of a product or service demanded and the quantity supplied at different price levels. It illustrates how the market forces of demand and supply interact to determine the equilibrium price and quantity of a product.

2. How are demand and supply curves created?

Demand and supply curves are created by plotting the quantity of a product or service on the horizontal axis and the corresponding price on the vertical axis. The points are then connected to form a downward-sloping demand curve and an upward-sloping supply curve.

3. What factors can shift the demand and supply curves?

The demand curve can shift due to changes in consumer preferences, income levels, price of related goods, and population. The supply curve can shift due to changes in production costs, technology, and the number of suppliers in the market.

4. How does the intersection of the demand and supply curves determine market equilibrium?

The point at which the demand and supply curves intersect is known as the market equilibrium. This is where the quantity demanded equals the quantity supplied and the market is in balance. The equilibrium price and quantity are determined by the forces of demand and supply.

5. What happens when there is a shortage or surplus in the market?

A shortage occurs when the quantity demanded exceeds the quantity supplied at a given price, leading to an increase in the price. On the other hand, a surplus occurs when the quantity supplied exceeds the quantity demanded, resulting in a decrease in the price. These imbalances are temporary and the market will eventually adjust to reach equilibrium.