XRD limitation in detection of a second phase with low amount

In summary, the alloy can form fine precipitates in the matrix which strengthen the alloy. However, XRD spectrum could not show the peaks related to the fine precipitates.
mah65
I have performed heat treatment (aging) on my alloy. In this process fine precipitates form in the matrix of the alloy, which strengthen the alloy.

However, XRD spectrum could not show the peaks related to the fine precipitates.

1- Why the peaks are not detectable? Is it because of the very small size of the precipitates? Or, is it because of their low content? What is the X-Ray method limitation in detecting a phase?

(I would appreciate it if you also introduce a reference, because I need to mention it in my paper)

2- What solutions and especially what other X-ray methods can help in detecting the precipitates? Can "small step scan XRD" be helpful in this respect?

Thank you :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the second phase is poorly crystallized or amorphous, you won't get much signal. What do you know, exactly, about the second phase.

The second phase in totally crystalline. We know the approximate position of the peaks (= the related 2teta) in XRD spectrum. We detected no such peaks in those positions, however. What can we do?

Signal to noise ratio will determine whether you see a peak (assuming the material is present). Signal will be proportional to the volume fraction of the phase present. If the domains are small (< ~300 nm), the signal will be diminished and broadened over a larger 2-theta range. The differential xray absorption behavior of the alloy and precipitate will also play a role in the relative signal.

XRD generally does not have robust lower detection limits. TEM would allow for direct characterization of the precipitates.

You can try performing slower measurements and if that does not help either, you can also try using synchrotron radiation.

XRD does not detect the presence of very small quantity of phase even though it is present in the materials.

Sometimes the peak is there, but get clouded with background radiation. This maybe due to the intensity of the peak is too low. In certain XRD software (X`pert Highscore Plus), you can remove/reduce the background radiation.

Alternatively, you can use SEM to identify the precipitate, but I never done that before.

My research involves the addition of MgO into Al2O3, the presence of Al2O3 only detected when the amount of MgO reach 0.9 wt %. The result is here - http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0925838810005347.

Hope it helps.

What is XRD and why is it used for detecting second phases with low amounts?

XRD (X-ray diffraction) is a technique used to analyze the crystal structure of materials. It works by directing a beam of X-rays at a sample, causing the X-rays to be diffracted in a specific pattern depending on the crystal structure. This pattern can then be used to identify the material's composition and detect any second phases present.

What is the main limitation of XRD in detecting second phases with low amounts?

The main limitation of XRD in detecting second phases with low amounts is its sensitivity. XRD is only able to detect second phases if they make up at least 1-5% of the sample, depending on the material being analyzed. This means that if the amount of the second phase is lower than this threshold, it may not be detected by XRD.

Can XRD differentiate between different types of second phases?

Yes, XRD can differentiate between different types of second phases. This is because each crystal structure produces a unique diffraction pattern, allowing for the identification of specific phases present in a sample.

Are there any other techniques that can be used to complement XRD in detecting low amounts of second phases?

Yes, there are other techniques that can complement XRD in detecting low amounts of second phases. For example, scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and transmission electron microscopy (TEM) can provide high-resolution images of the sample's microstructure, allowing for the visualization of small second phase particles. Energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDX) can also be used to analyze the chemical composition of the sample and identify any second phases present.

Is there a way to increase the sensitivity of XRD in detecting low amounts of second phases?

Yes, there are ways to increase the sensitivity of XRD in detecting low amounts of second phases. One method is to use a specialized detector, such as a position-sensitive detector, which can improve the detection limit of XRD. Additionally, using a synchrotron as the X-ray source can also increase the sensitivity of XRD, as it produces more intense and focused X-ray beams.