Couple of electromagnetics questions

In summary, the conversation discusses various questions related to electric fields and surface charge density on conductors. The use of Gauss' Law is mentioned and confirmed. The electric field intensity is calculated at different boundaries and it is noted that the electric field is normal to the sphere. The surface charge is assumed to be uniform on the sphere, but the question of non-uniformity is also raised. The summary also includes a fixed version of one of the questions for clarity.
formulajoe
E = 15 i - 8 k at a point on a conductor surface, what is the surface charge density at that point? assume Eo.

surface charge density is just -Eo*E correct? but i take the magnitude of the electric field and than multiply it by Eo.
am i right?

Physics news on Phys.org
How come??What equation did you use...?

Daniel.

Gauss' Law

another quick question.

Region y is great than or equal to 2 is occupied by a conductor. If the surface charge on the conductor is -20 nC/M^2, find D just outside the conductor.
Since the surface is y = , than the normal would be in the y direction. and D = Eo*E. but E doesn't have a y component (its the same E from above), so Dn would be 0. Dt is also 0 correct? so overall, D would be 0.

if somebody can confirm my answers that would be great. i also have another one i need confirmation on.

A conducting sphere of radius a is half-embedded in a liquid dielectric medium of permittivity E1. The region above the liquid is a gas of permittivity E2. If the total free charge on the sphere is Q, determine the electric field intensity everywhere.

E inside the conductor is zero.

E at boundary with region 1 = (Q/surface area)/E1

E at boundary with region 2 = (Q/surface area)/E2

surface area = 4*pi*a^2

is there sometihng at the boundary between the two materials?
the only E is going to be normal to the sphere, so it would seem to me that the electric field would not be passing the boundary.

question 1: Seems correct to me, although the minus-sign is arbitrary (it depends on whether the field points toward or away from the conductor).

question 2: Unreadible

question 3: why do you think the surface charge (Q/surface area) is uniform on the whole sphere?

it doesn't not say the surface charge is not uniform. if its not uniform, than i don't see any way to solve it with the information I've been given.

Fixed Question 2

Region y is greater than or equal to 2 is occupied by a conductor. If the surface charge on the conductor is -20 nC/M^2, find D just outside the conductor.
Since the surface is y = 2, than the normal would be purely in the y direction. D = Eo*E. E doesn't have a y component (its the same E from above), so Dnormal would be 0. Dtangential is also 0 correct? so overall, D would be 0.

Last edited:
if the surface charge was not uniform, would the electric field be proportional to the permittivity of the medium?

1. What is electromagnetics?

Electromagnetics is the study of the relationship between electricity and magnetism. It involves the behavior of electrically charged particles and the interaction between electric and magnetic fields.

2. How does an electromagnetic wave differ from a mechanical wave?

An electromagnetic wave does not require a medium to travel through, unlike a mechanical wave which needs a medium such as air or water. Electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum, which is why light from the sun can reach us through space.

3. What is the role of Maxwell's equations in electromagnetics?

Maxwell's equations describe the fundamental laws of electromagnetics and explain how electric and magnetic fields interact with each other. These equations were crucial in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves and have been used to develop many modern technologies such as wireless communication and radar.

4. How does electromagnetism impact our everyday lives?

Electromagnetism plays a vital role in many aspects of our daily lives. It is responsible for electricity, which powers our homes and devices. It also enables communication through technologies like cell phones and radios. Electromagnetic imaging techniques, such as MRI, allow us to see inside the human body, aiding in medical diagnoses.

5. What are some real-world applications of electromagnetics?

Electromagnetics has numerous practical applications, including wireless communication, electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in technologies such as radar, satellite communication, and magnetic levitation trains. Electromagnetism is also utilized in medical imaging, industrial equipment, and military weapons systems.