Area of event horizon and irreversible mass of Kerr black hole

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for surface area of a Kerr black hole and the concept of irreversible mass. The conversation also mentions difficulties in understanding and transcribing the equations, and provides a simplified version of the equations in terms of rg=1 and M=1. In the end, it is determined that there is a typo in one of the equations, and using the concept of irreversible mass correctly leads to the correct equation for surface area.
ck99
Hi everyone, and happy new year if you happen to be reading this tomorrow. Rather than partying, I am writing up 100+ pages of astrophysics lecture notes, which I think will take infinite time as I keep getting stuck on every other line.

My current problem is with the equation for the surface area of a Kerr black hole, I'm not sure if I am failing to understand this, or have made some transcription errors in my notes. (Possibly both; my lecturer writes really fast and this material is a real stretch for me!)

We have defined the radius of the event horizon as

r+ = rg + √(rg2 - a2)

where rg is GM/c2

Then we say that surface area of event horizon A is given by

A = 4∏(r+2 + a2) (no explanation given of where this equation comes from)

and we jump to

A = 8∏rg(rg + √(rg2 + a2)

I can't follow the algebra in that step, is it correct?

Then we expand that, just replacing rg with GM/c2 to get

A = 8∏(GM/c2)[(GM/c2) + √{(GM/c2)2 - (J/Mc)2}

Now we write area as

A = 4∏(2GM1/c2)

where M1 is defined as the "irreversible mass"

M1 = M√{(1/2)(1+√{1-(a/rg)2}}

I can't make the algebra work to equate this expression for area in terms of irreversible mass into our original expression for area, or to get the intermediate steps to work properly. I have tried looking online for some more help, but most authors wite about "irreducible mass" and I'm not sure if that's the same thing. Unfortunately I'm not clever enough to compare alternative expressions for these equations (that I have found in textbooks) to my lecture notes, and say definitively if I have written it down correctly.

Any help on this would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
To get rid of many constants, I'll use rg=1 and divide all other length units by rg and area units by rg^2.

Simplified equations:
(1) ##r_+=1+\sqrt{1-a^2}##

(2) ##A = 4\pi(r_+^2 + a^2)## (probably the result of an integration over the surface)

This should be equal to
(3) ##A = 8\pi(1 + \sqrt{1 + a^2)}##

Use (1) in (2):
(3b) ##A = 4\pi((1+\sqrt{1-a^2})^2 + a^2) = 4\pi (1+2\sqrt{1-a^2}+(1-a^2)+a^2) = 8\pi (1+\sqrt{1-a^2})##

Looks like a typo in (3).

Expansion is not necessary here, use units with G=c=1 and keep the assumption M=1.

(4) ##A=4\pi(2M_1) = 8 \pi M_1## - this cannot be right, A goes with M^2 and not M. I think there is a square missing at your bracket:
(4b) ##A=4\pi(2M_1)^2 = 16 \pi M_1^2##
(5) ##M_1=\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}(1+\sqrt{1-a^2})}##

Using (5) in (4) directly gives (3b).

1. What is the Area of the event horizon of a Kerr black hole?

The area of the event horizon of a Kerr black hole is defined as the surface area surrounding the black hole's singularity at which the escape velocity equals the speed of light. It is directly proportional to the mass of the black hole, with a maximum possible value of 4πM², where M is the mass of the black hole.

2. How is the Area of the event horizon related to the irreversible mass of a Kerr black hole?

The irreversible mass of a Kerr black hole is the mass that cannot be extracted from the black hole through any physical process. The area of the event horizon is directly related to this mass through the formula A = 8πG²M²/c⁴, where G is the gravitational constant and c is the speed of light.

3. What is the significance of the event horizon in a Kerr black hole?

The event horizon is the point of no return for any matter or energy that approaches a black hole. Once an object crosses the event horizon, it is impossible for it to escape the black hole's gravitational pull. In the case of a Kerr black hole, the event horizon is an oblate shape due to the black hole's rotation.

4. How does the rotation of a Kerr black hole affect its event horizon and irreversible mass?

The rotation of a black hole has a significant impact on its event horizon and irreversible mass. As the black hole rotates, it creates a dragging effect on the surrounding spacetime, causing the event horizon to become oblate in shape. This also increases the black hole's maximum possible area and, therefore, its irreversible mass.

5. Can the area of the event horizon of a Kerr black hole change over time?

According to classical physics, the area of the event horizon of a Kerr black hole remains constant over time. However, in quantum mechanics, there is a theory that states that black holes can emit radiation, known as Hawking radiation, which causes the black hole's area to decrease over time. This is still a topic of debate and research in the scientific community.