Evaluating integral from -∞ to ∞

• Thread starter wahaj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, when evaluating an integral \int^∞_{-∞}, it is important to consider the nature of the expression and whether it is an even function. It is generally necessary to split up the integral and use separate variables for the limits of integration in order to calculate the correct answer. The Cauchy Principle Value may be used in certain cases when the integral does not exist.
wahaj
When evaluating an integral [tex]\int^∞_{-∞}[/tex] do I have to split the integral up like [tex]\int^∞_0 + \int^0_{-∞}[/tex] and evaluate it this way or can I simply keep the integral in it's original form and plug in infinity and negative infinity into the expression and evaluate it?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the expression you get for the indefinite integral. In practice most of the integrals of this nature require more than getting an antiderivative.

Well right now I am just learning how to solve improper integrals. I was working on [tex]\int^∞_{-∞} \frac{1}{2}tan^{-1} x^2 [/tex]. I don't know if I am doing this right but splitting up and keeping the integral together gets me two different answers. Splitting it up gets me the right answer

Since it's an even function, the property [tex] \displaystyle \int_{-a}^a{ f(x)\,dx } = 2\int_0^a{f(x)\,dx}[/tex] holds.

So that means you can evaluate it as [tex]\displaystyle 2\int_0^{\infty}{\frac{1}{2}\arctan{\left( x^2 \right)} \,dx} [/tex].

wahaj said:
Well right now I am just learning how to solve improper integrals. I was working on [tex]\int^∞_{-∞} \frac{1}{2}tan^{-1} x^2 [/tex]. I don't know if I am doing this right but splitting up and keeping the integral together gets me two different answers. Splitting it up gets me the right answer
Please tell us what two different answer you get.

You should know that [itex]\int_0^\infty f(x)dx[/itex] is defined as [itex]\lim_{a\to\infty}\int_0^a f(x) dx[/itex] while [itex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x)dx[/itex] is defined as [itex]\lim_{a\to -\infty}\lim_{b\to\infty} \int_a^b f(x)dx[/itex].

In particular, you cannot use the same variable, and the same limits for the two limits of integration. That is, the "Cauchy Principle Value",
[tex]\lim_{a\to\infty} \int_{-a}^a f(x)dx[/tex]
may exist when the integral itself does not.

OK that's why I have been getting the wrong answer. I was using one variable as both limits. Thanks for the answer.

What is the purpose of evaluating an integral from -∞ to ∞?

The purpose of evaluating an integral from -∞ to ∞ is to find the total area under a curve that extends infinitely in both directions. This is useful in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics.

How is an integral from -∞ to ∞ different from a regular integral?

An integral from -∞ to ∞ is different from a regular integral in that it is not bounded by two specific values. Instead, it extends infinitely in both directions, making it more challenging to evaluate.

What are the steps to evaluating an integral from -∞ to ∞?

The steps to evaluating an integral from -∞ to ∞ are as follows:

1. Identify the function and its limits of integration.
  2. Use mathematical techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, to simplify the integral.
  3. Determine if the integral converges or diverges.
  4. If the integral converges, evaluate it using appropriate techniques.

What does it mean if an integral from -∞ to ∞ converges?

If an integral from -∞ to ∞ converges, it means that the total area under the curve is a finite value. This indicates that the function approaches a finite limit as the limits of integration extend to infinity in both directions.

Why is it important to evaluate an integral from -∞ to ∞?

Evaluating an integral from -∞ to ∞ is important because it allows us to solve real-world problems that involve infinite quantities. It also helps us understand the behavior of functions as their inputs approach infinity.