What happens if you go faster than light?

In summary: What you are doing is taking the mass of an object and applying it to an observer that is not in the same frame of reference as the original object. This doesn't make sense and is not how relativistic mass works.
mathlete
Let's say you are in water where light travels at a speed of [tex]\frac{c}{n_w}[/tex] where [tex]n_w = 1.5[/tex] and you travel faster than this speed - what happens? What do you see?

Science news on Phys.org
The laws of the speed of light apply to any medium, not just vacuum. If the speed of light were 1m/s in a certain material, that speed would be unattainable in that same medium.

whozum said:
The laws of the speed of light apply to any medium, not just vacuum. If the speed of light were 1m/s in a certain material, that speed would be unattainable in that same medium.

Yes, it can. That's the whole principle behind the Cerenkov radiation - charged particles moving in a medium at a faster velocity than light in that medium. Huge detectors are used to detect neutrinos this way.

Zz.

you will die, no seriously, you will. you will be of infinite weight and will require infinite energy to move, and will die. talk about letting yourself go. it is impossible to go faster than light, no matter what (unless you are a universe that just happens to be expanding, then, i read, it is possible. i don't know exactly how, but i will trust my reading skills

Fibonacci

1 said:
you will die, no seriously, you will. you will be of infinite weight and will require infinite energy to move, and will die. talk about letting yourself go. it is impossible to go faster than light, no matter what (unless you are a universe that just happens to be expanding, then, i read, it is possible. i don't know exactly how, but i will trust my reading skills

Fibonacci

This is a faulty application of relativistic mass. Take a look at how it is applied with respect to ANOTHER observer. Pay attention to the fact that a person does NOT see his/her mass increasing since he/she is always in the same proper frame and does not observe his/her mass moving.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This is a faulty application of relativistic mass. Take a look at how it is applied with respect to ANOTHER observer. Pay attention to the fact that a person does NOT see his/her mass increasing since he/she is always in the same proper frame and does not observe his/her mass moving.

Zz.

you didn't get that 'physics guru' for nothing, did you Zz.

Fibonacci

Fibonacci,

Please refrain from responding to question unless you are quite sure you are giving a correct answer.

- Warren

ZapperZ said:
Yes, it can. That's the whole principle behind the Cerenkov radiation - charged particles moving in a medium at a faster velocity than light in that medium. Huge detectors are used to detect neutrinos this way.

Zz.

Isn't that more of an exception than the rule?

offcourse it's an exception

Then my answer to the OP is more or less correct. :D

whozum said:
Then my answer to the OP is more or less correct. :D
No, it wasn't. It was completely wrong.

- Warren

Care to explain why?

You said that objects cannot exceed the speed of light in a medium. That is completely false.

- Warren

Wont argue with you. How do objects go faster than the speed of light in a medium?

By covering a greater distance in the same amount of time. I suspect you are looking for a good reason why they 'can'. Well, there is simply nothing that prevents something (often an electron) from doing so. Laws of physics are generally written according to what restricts movement or any other characteristic. It's just the way we interpret them - if it's not restricted to move a certain way, then it can.

Cerenkov radiation does not need to be explained here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerenkov_effect
and scroll to "Physical Origins"

Last edited:
Isn't it restricted by the same reasons its restricted in vacuum?

whozum,

No. The speed of light in vacuum is a universal 'speed limit,' but the speed of light in an arbitrary medium is not.

- Warren

whozum said:
Isn't it restricted by the same reasons its restricted in vacuum?

"in our world" there exists a universal speed limit c. From the Maxwell's equations we see that in vacuum light wave propagates with c. In the media this velocity is reduced due to existing wave impedance, but this doesn't mean that a universal constant is changed ;) just the EM wave propagates slower.

whozum said:
Isn't that more of an exception than the rule?

I'm not sure what you mean by an "exception"? You said that NOTHING can travel faster than light in a particular medium with index of refraction greater than vacuum. I said no, this is not true. A neutrino, and the charged particle that it generates when it collides with other particles, CAN travel faster than light in a particular medium, such as water, ice, quartz plate, etc. This is how we detect neutrinos (see SuperKamiokande, MINOS, AMANDA, ICE CUBE, quartz plate in the linear accelerator that I work with, etc...).

This isn't an "exception" nor the rule. It is ALLOWED.

Zz.

whozum said:
Wont argue with you. How do objects go faster than the speed of light in a medium?

This is because in a dispersive media other than a vacuum, we define "speed of light" as being the GROUP VELOCITY. In a vacuum, the group velocity and the phase velocity are IDENTICAL. When light enters a medium, these two are dispersed (thus, the term dispersive medium) and they are no longer identical.

Again, it is instructive for many people learning this subject to ALWAYS go back and figure out how we define things, and how certain things are measured. This is especially true when we get to the really exotic things and properties, such as "stopping light" in a medium to 0 m/s. Why would that be any different than having light falls onto a black piece of paper? That's stopping it, isn't it?

To appreciate such things, one must learn the intrinsic properties of light and how we define/measure these properties.

Zz.

No object can go faster than the speed of light in vacuum. In a medium such as water, the speed of light is reduced. It is possible for an object, such as an electron or positron, to move faster than the speed of light in that medium but slower than the speed of light in vacuum.

chroot said:
Fibonacci,

Please refrain from responding to question unless you are quite sure you are giving a correct answer.

- Warren

actually i thought i was right. :frown:

The first time that I saw Cherenkov radiation was during a tour when they opened the Douglas Point nuclear reactor in the late '60s. The uranium storage pool is full of it. (Caused by neutrons exceeding c in water.) It's kind of eerie to look at, but a really beautiful colour.

Last edited:

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, or about 670,616,629 miles per hour. It is the fastest speed at which all things in the universe can travel.

2. Is it possible to go faster than light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. It is considered a fundamental law of physics and has been repeatedly proven in experiments.

3. What would happen if an object could travel faster than light?

If an object could travel faster than light, it would violate the laws of physics and cause a paradox. Time would appear to go backwards, and the object would have infinite mass and energy, making it impossible to exist.

4. Is there any evidence of anything traveling faster than light?

No, there is no evidence of anything traveling faster than light. In fact, all experiments and observations have consistently shown that the speed of light is the maximum speed limit in the universe.

5. Could technology ever advance enough for us to travel faster than light?

Based on our current understanding of physics, it is highly unlikely that technology could ever advance enough for us to travel faster than light. However, it is always possible that new discoveries and breakthroughs could change our understanding of the laws of physics in the future.