Gamma Spectroscopy for Estimating Radiological Risk in Rocks

In summary: Peak intensity is the maximum intensity of the peak on the spectrum. peak area is the area of the peak on the spectrum.peak intensity is usually larger than peak area. peak efficiency is the percentage of the total energy of the photons that is detected.
meshac A
Am currently doing an undergraduate project work on 'estimation of radiological risk pose by U-238, th-232 and K-40 in rock samples' . The instrument I'll use are NaI(TI) crystal for scintilation were the gamma rays from the source(my rock samples) interact with the crystal through photoelectric effect, compton effect & pair production thus releasing photoelectrons, A photomultiplier tube (PMT) optically couple to the detector- to energize the photoelectrons from the detector, multichannel analyzer (MCA) plus an amplify with A-D converter, and a computer with the software winDAS installed to display the spectrum in histogram with count/second on the vertical axis and channel(energy in MeV) on horizontal axis.
The radionuclides present in the sample is identified if you trace it's energy on the spectrum, eg K-40 who's E is 1.460MeV will be traced.
Now, once the spectra corresponding to K-40 energy is identified how do i CALCULATE the ACTIVITY(Bq) of this nuclide and that of others to be identified?.
Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You (well, your software) can count the number of detected gamma rays.
Together with the geometry of the setup (which fraction of photons reaches your detector?), radiation length calculations (which fraction interacts in your detector?), background rates, effective deadtimes and some additional things I forgot, you can find the activity of the sample.

Ok, can you give me the explicit expression that bind this informations as a whole?- that will allow me compute the activity

It depends on your setup, there is no way to do this calibration if you do not have access to the setup itself.
Do you have a source with known activity? This will make the calibration easier.

Thanks, I'll carry out the experiment tommorow, I do not have a source with known activity, is there no other way to caliberate without a source? And how does finding the activity depends on my set-up?

Last edited:
And how does finding the activity depends on my set-up?
By the effects I mentioned. The geometry, the efficiency of the detector and so on.
is there no other way to caliberate without a source?
It is possible to get an estimate, but it will need a lot of work to do that properly.

If you work with radioactive samples, it should be possible to get a source with known activity.

Thanks alot, I'll get back to you when i start the analysis.

i've been delaying the experiment because I've got no standard source, can i go on without it?

Last edited:
The activity measurement will get larger uncertainties (and much more work), but it is possible to find some estimate.

ok, what is peak area?peak intensity?efficiency of detector?branching ratio of the source? Peak centroid?and FWHM? How do they relate with the activity concentration of a nuclide at that peak?..i know my questions are plenty ,i just need your help!

What do you mean with peak area and peak intensity? Peak with respect to what?

efficiency of detector?
(detected particles) / (particles going though the detector)

branching ratio of the source?
I know branching ratios of particles... the fraction of particles decaying to some specific set of products.

Peak centroid?
Context?

and FWHM?
Wikipedia helps - not only there, but also at the other questions.

i'll try it, thanks alot

A good way to create a makeshift standard for K-40 is to get some of the salt substitute (which is KCl). Measure out a known mass, and with the isotopic abundance value you should be able to get the mass of K-40, which will give you the activity. It isn't exact because of impurities, but it's certainly a better estimate than anything else I can think of.

1. What is gamma spectroscopy?

Gamma spectroscopy is a technique used to measure the energy and intensity of gamma rays emitted from radioactive materials. It involves using a gamma ray detector to measure the spectrum of gamma rays emitted from a sample, which can then be used to identify the specific radioactive isotopes present in the sample.

2. How is gamma spectroscopy used for estimating radiological risk in rocks?

Gamma spectroscopy can be used to measure the levels of radioactive isotopes, such as uranium and thorium, in rocks. These isotopes are natural sources of radiation and their levels in rocks can be used to estimate the potential radiological risk of the rocks to humans and the environment.

3. What are the benefits of using gamma spectroscopy for estimating radiological risk in rocks?

One of the main benefits of using gamma spectroscopy is its high sensitivity, allowing for accurate measurements of low levels of radioactivity in rocks. It is also a non-destructive technique, meaning that the sample can be used for further analysis or testing.

4. Are there any limitations to using gamma spectroscopy for estimating radiological risk in rocks?

While gamma spectroscopy is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It is only able to measure the levels of specific radioactive isotopes and cannot provide information on other types of radiation. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurements can be affected by factors such as sample size and interference from other elements in the sample.

5. How can the results from gamma spectroscopy be used to mitigate radiological risk in rocks?

The results from gamma spectroscopy can be used to identify areas where the levels of radioactive isotopes in rocks are above safe levels. This information can then be used to implement measures to mitigate the risk, such as restricting access to the area or implementing remediation techniques. It can also be used to monitor changes in radiation levels over time and assess the effectiveness of mitigation efforts.