Differential equation to describe beam width

In summary, to describe the data in this scenario, you can use a variety of mathematical techniques, such as linear regression, nonlinear regression, or more sophisticated methods such as genetic algorithms, support vector machines, and artificial neural networks.
gobberpooper
I have two independent variables (rotation in degrees, and distance from best focus distance in mm) and one dependent variable (1/e^2 width squared in mm^2). How would I go about creating either a multivariable function or a differential equation to describe the data? I've attached the raw data and resulting family of curves for reference.

The data was acquired by attaching a camera and a laser to a rail system with beam splitters and filters to protect the lens, and captured using FireWire BeamPro. Once the focus distance was found (~770mm), I captured data at 5 distances further away from and closer to the lens at 10mm intervals. I then rotated the camera by approximately 5 degrees and repeated. This was done from 0 to 20 degrees. The rotation didn't stay perfectly constant throughout each set, so the two points below each column of rotation is the average angle and the standard deviation. The other random row doesn't matter.

Basically, I have a family of curves corresponding to multiple data sets, and I need a way to describe them. I've forgotten how to do so from raw data and I can't find a good reference. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Attachments

• Summary.xlsx
    14.1 KB · Views: 208
Physics news on Phys.org
To create a multivariable function or a differential equation to describe the data, you can use a variety of mathematical techniques, such as linear regression, nonlinear regression, or even some more sophisticated methods. Linear regression is a simple and commonly used technique for fitting a line to a set of data points. It involves minimizing the sum of squared errors between the observed data and the fitted line, and can be used for both linear and nonlinear data sets. Nonlinear regression is a slightly more complex technique that can be used for fitting more complicated curves to data sets. It involves minimizing the sum of squared errors between the observed data and a parameterized curve. Finally, more sophisticated methods such as genetic algorithms, support vector machines, and artificial neural networks can also be used to fit complex curves to data sets.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of variables and their rates of change to describe how a system changes over time.

2. How is a differential equation used to describe beam width?

A differential equation can be used to describe beam width by relating the rate of change of the beam's width to its position and other factors such as the beam's material properties and applied forces. This equation can then be solved to determine the beam's width at any given point.

3. What factors can affect the beam width described by a differential equation?

Some factors that can affect the beam width described by a differential equation include the beam's material properties, applied forces, and boundary conditions. These factors can change the rate of change of the beam's width and ultimately impact its overall shape.

4. Are there different types of differential equations that can describe beam width?

Yes, there are different types of differential equations that can be used to describe beam width depending on the specific situation. For example, a first-order differential equation may be used for simple beam structures, while higher-order equations may be needed for more complex structures.

5. How are differential equations solved to determine beam width?

Differential equations can be solved using various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or numerical methods. The solution will depend on the specific equation and initial/boundary conditions given.