Helping a Friend After a Bike Accident

In summary, my friend and I were riding bikes when he fell, getting scraped up knees, and a scraped chest when he hit the handlebars with his rib. He was able to ride to my house (1.5 km), and when he got there, we cleaned his wounds with hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and bandaged them. 5 minutes after it started, it was over and he was just worn out, but that's all he said. He said that he never hit his head. It's possible from the exertion his friend was somewhat
ok, my friend and i were riding bikes, when he fell, getting scrapped up knees, and a scraped chest when he hit the handlebars with his rib. he was able to ride to my house (1.5 km). when he got there, we cleaned his wounds with hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and bandaged them. then, he got woozy, and couldn't see to well, also complained that stuff was turning purple. his ears were ringing, too. he asked for water, and had about 2 liters. then, 5 minutes after it started, it was over and he was just worn out, but that's all. he said that he never hit his head. could he have been dehydrated, could it be internal injury, or could it be the fact that we forgot about the warning about using H2O2 over a large area of the body/deep cuts?

Fibonacci

P.S. I'm not a crazy mass-murderer, like you may have thought in the "dispose of a dead body" thread, i just have a dark sense of humor.

Physics news on Phys.org
1 said:
ok, my friend and i were riding bikes, when he fell, getting scrapped up knees, and a scraped chest when he hit the handlebars with his rib. he was able to ride to my house (1.5 km). when he got there, we cleaned his wounds with hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and bandaged them. then, he got woozy, and couldn't see to well, also complained that stuff was turning purple. his ears were ringing, too. he asked for water, and had about 2 liters. then, 5 minutes after it started, it was over and he was just worn out, but that's all. he said that he never hit his head. could he have been dehydrated, could it be internal injury, or could it be the fact that we forgot about the warning about using H2O2 over a large area of the body/deep cuts?

Fibonacci

P.S. I'm not a crazy mass-murderer, like you may have thought in the "dispose of a dead body" thread, i just have a dark sense of humor.

Any one that uses a number for a handle must be iffy. :biggrin:

Using hydrogen peroxide topically (externally) would not cause someone to feel the way your friend was feeling.

It is possible from the exertion your friend was somewhat dehydrated, especially it is hot and your friend was perspiring. Also, simply increasing body temperature may cause that effect, as well as some trauma due to the injury.

Even if your friend's head did not hit the ground (or pavement), the head will receive some force from the body hitting the ground.

Any muscle damage may release some potassium to the blood stream, and this could also have an effect.

Keep an eye on your friend. People with internal bleeding will feel thirsty if blood loss is sufficient.

During hot summer months, it is best to acclimatize one's body to the heat gradually, especially if one is accustomed to being in-doors with air-conditioning. It is also a good idea to drink something like Gatorade or equivalent drink which contains the right balance of electrolytes (both Na and K), as well as some sugars.

Yeah, since he hit his chest, keep an eye on him and make sure he isn't more seriously injured than he's letting on. But, other than that, he could have just been rattled by the fall and the wooziness was a response to the adrenaline combined with some overexertion.

thanks all. i won't see him again until tommorow or the day after, so i don't know how he is doing right now. his mom's a nurse, so i think that she knows more about medical stuff than I.

fibonacci

1 said:
thanks all. i won't see him again until tommorow or the day after, so i don't know how he is doing right now. his mom's a nurse, so i think that she knows more about medical stuff than I.

fibonacci
And he told her what happened, right? Otherwise she might not know to keep an eye on him.

its kinda hard to miss

What should I do if my friend gets into a bike accident?

If your friend gets into a bike accident, the first thing you should do is check if they are okay. If they are conscious, ask them if they need any immediate medical attention. If they are unconscious or in severe pain, call for emergency services immediately.

How can I help my friend after a bike accident?

After making sure your friend is safe and has received any necessary medical attention, you can help by staying with them and providing emotional support. You can also help by calling their family or loved ones to inform them of the accident.

Should I move my friend after a bike accident?

No, it is best to leave your friend in the position they are in until medical professionals arrive. Moving them could potentially worsen any injuries they have sustained.

What if my friend is not wearing a helmet during the bike accident?

If your friend is not wearing a helmet during the bike accident, it is important to still follow the same steps of checking if they are okay and calling for medical help. However, it is important to remind your friend to always wear a helmet while biking to prevent serious head injuries in the future.

How can I support my friend during their recovery from a bike accident?

You can support your friend by offering to help with daily tasks, such as running errands or cooking meals. You can also provide emotional support by listening to them and being there for them during their recovery. Additionally, you can encourage them to seek professional help if needed and to take the necessary time to fully recover before returning to biking.