Help on another algebra problem

• Thread starter byronsakic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the cosine of the angle between vectors a and b is equal to 4/21. To find vector p, the magnitudes of a and b are taken and then substituted into the dot product equation. Using the quadratic equation, two solutions are found, but only one of them will satisfy the original equation.
byronsakic
The Cosine of the angle between a and b is 4/21. Find p if a = 6i + 3j -2k and b = -2i + pj - 4k.

i started off with the general equation a . b = |a| |b| cosX where cosX is 4/21
since i, j, k all mean 1. i would get two vectors
a = (6,3,-2) and b = (-2, p, -4)

then i would take the magnitude of both a and b.

then i would take the dot product of a and b.

then i would sub them into the equation.

and then i ended up solving using the quadratic equation, but when i solved it, i ended up getting two answers and if i sub it back into the dot products and stuff it wouldn't equal.. LS = RS...

i don't kno if this is how i shouold have done it ?
thnx

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is how you should do it.

I don't know what you mean by "when i solved it, i ended up getting two answers and if i sub it back into the dot products and stuff it wouldn't equal.. LS = RS...". Of course, when you square an equation you may introduce a new solution that doesn't satisfy the original equation but one of your two solutions should.

alright thanks

What is the best way to approach an algebra problem?

The best way to approach an algebra problem is to first read it carefully and understand what is being asked. Then, identify the given information and what needs to be solved for. Next, choose an appropriate algebraic method to solve the problem. Finally, double check your solution and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

How can I improve my algebra skills?

To improve your algebra skills, it is important to practice regularly. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group. Additionally, make sure to thoroughly understand the basic concepts and rules of algebra before moving on to more complex problems.

Can you show me step-by-step how to solve this algebra problem?

Yes, I can show you step-by-step how to solve the algebra problem. It is important to understand the problem and the method used to solve it, rather than just memorizing the steps. This will help you in solving similar problems in the future.

What should I do if I am stuck on an algebra problem?

If you are stuck on an algebra problem, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh mind. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or using a different method. If you are still struggling, don't hesitate to ask for help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate.

Why is it important to show all the steps in solving an algebra problem?

It is important to show all the steps in solving an algebra problem because it helps to ensure that you have not made any mistakes and that your solution is correct. It also allows others to follow your thought process and understand how you arrived at the solution.