Metal tubes project for school

In summary, the speaker is designing a product for a school project that requires bending two pieces of metal tubing. However, their school does not have the necessary equipment, so they are looking for suggestions on where to go. They have received a recommendation to call a hardware store or purchase a tubing bender and do it themselves. The speaker is also considering using stainless steel for the tubing, but is concerned about the difficulty of bending it. They mention that the bend will be slight and the tube is 10mm in diameter. The speaker is also looking for information on the radius of the bend.
brandon26
I am designing a product for my school project. I need to bend two pieces of metal tubes. This is not possible in my school, therefore I need to get it done elsewhere. Can someone suggest where I could go? Which comanies to approach.:confused:
Please help, my time is running out.

PS. I live in the UK

Engineering news on Phys.org
1. What part of the UK ?
2. Call your nearest hardware store and ask them where to go.
3. Go to the nearest hardware store, buy yourself a tubing bender, and do it yourself.

If it's small enough metal tubing, you can fashion a small bending jig rather easily and just do it yourself. What size tube and what radius are you wanting to bend?

Well, I am not going to bend it much. It is a long vertical metal tube bent slightly inwards at the top (about 1/4 of the whole length of the tube). The tube is 10mm in diameter.

I am thinking about using stainless steel, and I want it to be perfectly bent.

I would recommend Gokul's suggestion regarding the hardware store, or an electrical supplier who sells metal conduit tubing. Bending stainless steel will be more difficult than Al or Cu tubing, since steels are stronger and stiffer.

What is the radius of the bend. The tighter the bend, the more difficult it will be.

1. What is the purpose of the metal tubes project?

The purpose of the metal tubes project for school is to teach students about the properties of different metals and how they can be used to create structures or objects. It also allows students to practice their measuring and cutting skills, as well as their problem-solving abilities.

2. How do I choose the right type of metal for my project?

The type of metal you choose for your project will depend on the specific requirements and goals of your project. Consider factors such as strength, durability, and availability when selecting a metal. Some common types of metals used in school projects include aluminum, copper, and steel.

3. What tools and materials will I need for the metal tubes project?

The tools and materials needed for the metal tubes project will vary depending on the specific project and metal being used. However, some common tools and materials include a ruler or measuring tape, a marker or pencil, metal cutting tools (such as a saw or tin snips), and safety equipment (such as gloves and goggles).

4. How do I safely handle and work with metal tubes?

It is important to follow safety precautions when working with metal tubes. Wear appropriate safety gear, such as gloves and goggles, and make sure to handle the metal carefully to avoid any sharp edges. It is also important to properly secure the metal while cutting or shaping it to avoid accidents.

5. Can I incorporate other materials into my metal tubes project?

Yes, you can definitely incorporate other materials into your metal tubes project. This can add variety and creativity to your project. Just make sure that the materials you choose are compatible with the metal and will not compromise the structural integrity of your project.