Understanding Photon Momentum and Radiation Pressure

• Thread starter gunblaze
  • Start date
In summary: There is radiation pressure because photons have momentum. They are able to push other particles away due to their own momentum.
gunblaze
Think..
Can i ever make an object in vacumm and on a frictionless surface move with constant speed.. from rest?

Physics news on Phys.org
Shine light on it and stop after it moves.

Zz.

how?
by using light particles as a resistive force?

Photons have momentum.

Zz.

So u mean by using photons, i can provide an opposing force on the accelerating object.. then as the resultant force on the ball reaches zero, i switch off the light.. the ball will move at constant speed.

But just another qn.. How long will this take?

gunblaze said:
So u mean by using photons, i can provide an opposing force on the accelerating object.. then as the resultant force on the ball reaches zero, i switch off the light.. the ball will move at constant speed.
But just another qn.. How long will this take?

OK, now you lost me.

You said you want to know how to get an object that was originally AT REST to move with a constant velocity.

My response was shine a light on to it. This will make it move (i.e. accelerate). When you're happy, stop shinning the light. No more source of that acceleration. The object will then simply coast with constant velocity. You DID say this thing is in vacuum with no friction.

Zz.

Yes. After shining the light, the body will accelerate.. but how by switching off the light can the object move with constant speed? the body will continue accelerate even with the light switched off since there is no opposing force on the object right?

Last edited:
No it won't. After the force is "turned off" there's nothing to accelerate the body.

now there is sum of all forces affecting the body zero.

So F=0=dp/dt...so...dp/dt=0...so...p=const...v=const...and that's it.

gunblaze said:
Yes. After shining the light, the body will accelerate.. but how by switching off the light can the object move with constant speed? the body will continue accelerate even with the light switched off since there is no opposing force on the object right?

Please study Newton's First and Second Law of motion.

Zz.

It will continue moving at constant speed because all forces have equalized (ie. in this case, no forces exist) and acceleration only occurs when there is a net force.

By the way, since it is on topic, what is our best understanding as to why photons have momentum but no mass?

hm, and what is mass?:)

Fe-56 said:
hm, and what is mass?:)

I think we can start off with defining that, very good.

Pengwuino said:
I think we can start off with defining that, very good.

Could be good definition that mass is that m in the equotation F=d(mv)/dt?
but how can we define that F now? :-))

I was looking for more of an answer instead of a Q&A session :P

Pengwuino said:
It will continue moving at constant speed because all forces have equalized (ie. in this case, no forces exist) and acceleration only occurs when there is a net force.

By the way, since it is on topic, what is our best understanding as to why photons have momentum but no mass?

Even without the photon picture, classical EM radiation also contains something called "radiation pressure" (see, for example, Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics). This is due to the presence of E-fields in EM radiation. It is why the often-imagined solar sails are usually made of "metallic" or mylar surface. The conducting surface interact with the E-field of the photon more efficiently than insulating surfaces.

Zz.

1. Can I ever achieve this?

The answer to this question depends on what "this" refers to. However, in general, with hard work, determination, and the right resources, it is possible to achieve many things in life.

2. What can I do to increase my chances of achieving this?

There are a few things you can do to increase your chances of achieving your goals. First, set realistic and specific goals. Then, create a plan and set a timeline for achieving them. Seek out resources and support, and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed. Finally, stay persistent and don't give up when faced with challenges.

3. Are there any shortcuts or quick fixes to achieving this?

In most cases, achieving something worthwhile takes time, effort, and dedication. While there may be some shortcuts or quick fixes available, they may not lead to long-term success. It's important to put in the necessary work and be patient in order to achieve lasting results.

4. What are some common barriers to achieving this?

Some common barriers to achieving goals include lack of resources or support, fear of failure, and self-doubt. It's important to identify these barriers and find ways to overcome them in order to reach your goals.

5. Can I achieve this if others have failed before?

Yes, you can still achieve something even if others have failed before. Each person's journey is unique, and just because someone else was not successful does not mean you will face the same outcome. It's important to learn from others' experiences and use them to inform your own path to success.