Optimization: Beam of maximum strength

In summary, we need to find the width and height of a rectangular beam cut from a cylindrical log of radius 30 cm, in order to determine the beam's maximum strength. The strength of the beam is proportional to w*h^2 and after some calculations, we find that the maximum strength occurs when the width is 0 cm and the height is 30 cm.
HappMatt
first off here is the problem
:18. A rectangular beam is cut from a cylindrical log of radius 30 cm. The strength of a beam of width w and height h is proportional to . Find the width and height of the beam of maximum strength.
so I have a diagram of it but I am having troubles setting up the problem. But i just can't figure out how to set it up. I think that one of the equations i need would be (h*w)/(wh^2) not sure if that's right and then for the sides i figure you have to use the pythagorean identity to get h=(30^2-w^2)^(1/2) from here I am lost and have obviously given up hope of solving it on my own. P.S. i absoulutly hate this stupid huges-huallete/wiley single variable calc book, the book suck, or mybee i do.

- wel I am still staring at the problem and this time i came up with something new. I though mybe i was reading the proportional part wrong and that mybee (w*h^2) is the proportion and that all i need it the deriv of that maximized at 0 then plug in h=(30^2-w^2)^(1/2) to figure out where the height is maximized. i also added some work so you all don't just think I am a lazy bastard.

Attachments

• 4.5#18 002.jpg
    4.5#18 002.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 558
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The strength of the beam is proportional to w*h^2. Taking the derivative of this with respect to width (w) and setting it to zero, we have 2wh=0, which implies w=0. Plugging this into the equation for height, we get h=(30^2-0^2)^(1/2)=30 cm. Therefore, the width and height of the beam of maximum strength are 0 cm and 30 cm respectively.

1. What is optimization?

Optimization is the process of finding the best solution to a problem, typically involving maximizing or minimizing a certain value or set of values.

2. What is a beam of maximum strength?

A beam of maximum strength is a type of optimization problem where the goal is to find the optimal dimensions and materials for a beam in order to maximize its strength and minimize its weight.

3. How is optimization used in engineering and science?

Optimization is used in engineering and science to find the most efficient and effective solutions to various problems, such as designing structures, developing algorithms, and making decisions.

4. What factors are considered in optimizing a beam of maximum strength?

The factors that are typically considered in optimizing a beam of maximum strength include the dimensions of the beam, the material properties, the loading conditions, and any constraints or limitations.

5. What techniques are commonly used in optimizing a beam of maximum strength?

Some commonly used techniques in optimizing a beam of maximum strength include mathematical modeling, computer simulations, and experimental testing. Other methods such as genetic algorithms and neural networks may also be used.