Mentor Away: Little or No Internet Access Until Monday

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: Evo, I found a place for you to stay in Maine rent-free, but you jumped the gun, as you always do. A little fix-up, some winter prep getting firewood lined up, and some gathering/caching of food and you would have been all set.:I'm not gone yet G01. *wonders if the freezer we store the fish in will work as a fire shield*::mad: I'd better not hear that there was a huge fish fry when I get back! That fish needs to last 'till Christmas!5 miles? You are not moving! You are just relocating locally
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I will have little or no internet access until Monday, so if you need help, pm one of the other mentors.

I expect everyone to behave while I am away. Try not to burn the place down, ok?

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Try not to burn the place down, ok?

*Throws matches out the window* Oh C'mon Evo! Why can't we have a little fun once in a while?!:biggrin:Anyway, good luck with the move! Hope everything gets from here to there with no issues.

G01 said:
*Throws matches out the window* Oh C'mon Evo! Why can't we have a little fun once in a while?!:biggrin:
G01, I am appointing you as my secret spy

If you accept this position, I will allow you to set small fires. You can even make it look like someone else set them. That should keep everyone on their toes. :devil:

Evo said:
G01, I am appointing you as my secret spy

If you accept this position, I will allow you to set small fires. You can even make it look like someone else set them. That should keep everyone on their toes. :devil:

I'm no snitch Evo!.....but......Well if you see letters charred into the rug spelling out the initials of a certain member whose name denotes the difficulty of quantitative analysis you'll know right where to look...hehehe.:devil:

Does this mean that I should lock my door in case G01 plants flammable devices in peoples rooms?

Math Jeans said:
Does this mean that I should lock my door in case G01 plants flammable devices in peoples rooms?
Yes, that would be a good idea. Make sure the bar has a fire extinguisher.

Will do. The forum will have no more than a few scorch marks no matter how hard G01 tries :biggrin:.

Have you got Foofer corralled?

Evo, what are you doing?! Have you looked at the size of G01's matches?

Zz.

Math Is Hard said:
Have you got Foofer corralled?
No, I blew it. He came by for a quick visit yesterday and I forgot to lock him up.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.
Yikes, and he has all that frying oil!

Math Jeans said:
Will do. The forum will have no more than a few scorch marks no matter how hard G01 tries :biggrin:.
Your job might be more difficult than first thought.

i'll...try my best.

Hope everything runs smoothly, and that the weather is on your side.
{puts on fire proof suit}

Good luck with the move, and All the Best in the new Home!

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/7667/homesweethometf6.jpg​

Last edited by a moderator:
may all your boxes/(data) have strong bottoms/(boots) , and labels that remain readable/ (F.A.T. -file allocation tables)

Cool Evo! Good luck with your new place :smile:

Good luck with the move.

*wonders if the freezer we store the fish in will work as a fire shield*

Evo, how far do you have to go?

Ivan Seeking said:
Evo, how far do you have to go?
5 miles :redface:

Evo said:
5 miles :redface:

THAT is a good thing!

good luck.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.

Evo said:
Yikes, and he has all that frying oil! :

Time to party! *Pushing a wheelbarrow full of lava rocks* ...Is now not a good time?

Thanks everyone, hopefully I can make it 5 miles, back and forth a hundred times.

I'm not gone yet G01.

Moonbear said:
*wonders if the freezer we store the fish in will work as a fire shield*
:grumpy: I'd better not hear that there was a huge fish fry when I get back! That fish needs to last 'till Christmas!

5 miles? You are not moving! You are just relocating locally. Your new home in the elder community is so close that Foofer can just walk over there and join you, tracking the scent-trail of your personal favorite flavors of Ensure. :devil: I found a place for you to stay in Maine rent-free, but you jumped the gun, as you always do.
boathouse.jpg
A little fix-up, some winter prep getting firewood lined up, and some gathering/caching of food and you would have been all set.

Last edited:
Evo said:
:grumpy: I'd better not hear that there was a huge fish fry when I get back! That fish needs to last 'till Christmas!

NOW THERE'S AN IDEA!:biggrin:

Ooh, turbo - it has a lagoon, too! Just like Evo's new home!

Good luck on the move, Evo. Are you hauling everything yourself or renting a truck? Is the place you are moving to furnished already? What did you do with the old stuff? Should have an auction on the forums here.

That will be a ton of work loading and unloading everything in the same day. Be sure to take some time to relax in your new home. Enjoy.

Math Is Hard said:
Ooh, turbo - it has a lagoon, too! Just like Evo's new home!
And the lagoon is a real pond full of brook trout. The sisters would no longer have to buy disciplinary/welcome fish.

Evo said:
Thanks everyone, hopefully I can make it 5 miles, back and forth a hundred times.

now, let's see, how much younger will Evo be, according to Einstein, than the rest of us?

Good luck with the move, Evo! :smile:

Btw, turbo, I'm interested in this place. I'll bring my toolbox along, that should do it. And, umm... any chance I could plug my computer in somwehere? :tongue:

radou said:
Good luck with the move, Evo! :smile:

Btw, turbo, I'm interested in this place. I'll bring my toolbox along, that should do it. And, umm... any chance I could plug my computer in somwehere? :tongue:
You're going to need at least 20 miles of extension cord. If you want Internet access, you'll also need over 20 miles of phone cable and some boosters to keep the signal strong enough to be usable. I guess you could subscribe to some satellite web service and power your gear with a portable generator, though that would ruin the atmosphere of this quiet little pond.

turbo-1 said:
5 miles? You are not moving! You are just relocating locally. Your new home in the elder community is so close that Foofer can just walk over there and join you, tracking the scent-trail of your personal favorite flavors of Ensure. :devil:
:rofl: It's only 5 miles but it's like night and day compared to where I live. Everything I need is within a mile of the new place, grocery store, bank, shops, etc... my doctor's office is less than 2 miles and the hospital about 1 1/2 miles. I can walk to reach almost anything.

I found a place for you to stay in Maine rent-free, but you jumped the gun, as you always do.
boathouse.jpg
A little fix-up, some winter prep getting firewood lined up, and some gathering/caching of food and you would have been all set.
Now you tell me. I can still move! Waterfront property, something I've always wanted! A few boards and a couple of tarps and it could be my dream home. :!)

Back off radou, it's mine! :devil:

Huckleberry, I've rented storage space until I decide what to do with all of my extra furniture. I have movers coming tomorrow to move the heavy stuff, and the child of Evo and I will be moving the small stuff ourselves. Today I will be getting the keys and try to figure out where things will go.

turbo-1 said:
You're going to need at least 20 miles of extension cord. If you want Internet access, you'll also need over 20 miles of phone cable and some boosters to keep the signal strong enough to be usable. I guess you could subscribe to some satellite web service and power your gear with a portable generator, though that would ruin the atmosphere of this quiet little pond.

Uhh...I guess I'll leave it to Evo, then. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Back off radou, it's mine! :devil:

Voila, be my guest! :tongue2:

That shcak is a shambles. You would be better off pitching a tent and using the home for firewood. Or you could strap a bunch of boards and beams together to make a raft.

The creaky old paddle pushes the raft across the placid pond. A campfire crackles and pops, spitting crimson sparks like kamikaze pilots crashing into the sandy shore. Crickets chirp and sing like prophets, praising the silvery stars, pinpricks of promises collected in the cool, black sky and splashed like fire upon the placid pond.

Welcome home Evo!

Okay, I think she's gone now.

*grabs some of the wood from turbo's shack and starts stacking it for the bonfire*

Okay, G01, got those matches?

I'll bring the marshmallows.