Calculating Ca2+ Weight Percentage Using EDTA Titration Method | Lab Help

L1.48E-3 moles is the same as 1.48E-3 moles/0.2505 g = 0.005920.00592 * 100% = 0.592%In summary, the weight% of Ca2+ in the unknown can be calculated by multiplying the moles of Ca2+ (determined using the average [EDTA] and titration) by a factor of 10 (due to the 10x difference in volume between the unknown and the titrant). This gives a final weight% of 0.592%.
higherme
My question is:
Using the average [EDTA], find the weight% of Ca2+ in the unknown

My attempt:

so, the[EDTA] i found from standardizing was 0.005 M;
I used 29.85mL to of EDTA to titrate my 25.00mL unknown
and the weight of my unknown used was 0.2505 g

this is what i did:
[EDTA] = 0.005M * 0.02985L = 1.489E-4 mol EDTA = mol Ca2+

so that is the moles of Ca2+ , my question is do I have to convert this moles to moles in 250mL, because the unknown was prepared in a 250mL volumetric flask, and only 25.00mL was taken out from that flask for titration. Does that mean 1.489E-4 moles (calculated above) is only the amount of moles in 25.00mL??

any help appreciated :P

Physics news on Phys.org
higherme said:
My question is:
Using the average [EDTA], find the weight% of Ca2+ in the unknown

My attempt:

so, the[EDTA] i found from standardizing was 0.005 M;
I used 29.85mL to of EDTA to titrate my 25.00mL unknown
and the weight of my unknown used was 0.2505 g

this is what i did:
[EDTA] = 0.005M * 0.02985L = 1.489E-4 mol EDTA = mol Ca2+

so that is the moles of Ca2+ , my question is do I have to convert this moles to moles in 250mL, because the unknown was prepared in a 250mL volumetric flask, and only 25.00mL was taken out from that flask for titration. Does that mean 1.489E-4 moles (calculated above) is only the amount of moles in 25.00mL??

any help appreciated :P

Of course!

so do i have to use m1v1=m2v2 to find the moles that is in 250mL

can i just use the number in moles for m1... or do i have to change it to concentration first

(1.489E-4 mol)(25.00mL) = m2 (250mL)
m2 = 1.489 E-5 moles in 250mL ?

this is the moles of Ca2+ in the unknown... i divide by the total weight of the unknown to find the % Ca2+

You are given the weight of the unknown as 0.2505. You dissolved this into 250 mL and analyzed a 25 mL aliquot of this unknown using 29.85 mL of 0.005 M EDTA.

You used 25 mL out of a solution of 250 mL. What fraction of 250 mL is 25 mL? That math is pretty simple.

so in 250mL i have 1.48E-4 mol

25 ml /250 ml = 0.1

0.1*1.48E-4 mol = 1.48E-5 mol... which will be the same as what i got using mv=mv

higherme said:
so in 250mL i have 1.48E-4 mol

25 ml /250 ml = 0.1

0.1*1.48E-4 mol = 1.48E-5 mol... which will be the same as what i got using mv=mv

Why are you doing this? Why did you DIVIDE by 10! Is there 1/10 as much in 250 mL as there is in 25 mL?

oh oops.. should be times 10... 1.48E-4 moles * 250/25 = 1.48E-3 moles

1. What is EDTA titration?

EDTA titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of metal ions in a solution. It involves adding a known amount of ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA) to a sample containing the metal ion, and then titrating with a solution of a metal indicator until the color changes, indicating the endpoint of the reaction.

2. Why is EDTA used in titration?

EDTA is a chelating agent, meaning it forms stable complexes with metal ions. This makes it useful for titration because it allows for the precise determination of metal ion concentrations in a sample. EDTA also has a distinct color change when it binds to a metal ion, making it easy to detect the endpoint of the titration.

3. What equipment do I need for an EDTA titration?

You will need a burette, a pipette, a conical flask, a magnetic stirrer (or glass rod), a dropper, and a metal indicator solution. You will also need a standardized solution of EDTA and the sample containing the metal ion you want to determine the concentration of.

4. How do I calculate the concentration of the metal ion using EDTA titration?

To calculate the concentration of the metal ion, you will need to know the volume of EDTA used in the titration, the volume of the sample, and the molarity of the standardized EDTA solution. The formula for calculating concentration is: concentration of metal ion = (volume of EDTA used * molarity of EDTA) / volume of sample.

5. What are some common sources of error in EDTA titration?

Some common sources of error in EDTA titration include improper calibration of equipment, inaccurate measurement of volumes, contamination of the sample or reagents, and incomplete or slow reactions. It is important to carefully follow the experimental procedure and take multiple measurements to minimize these errors.