Non-strange non-baryonic states are eigenstates of G-parity

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of G-parity and isospin in relation to non-strange non-baryonic states and their eigenstates. The speaker is asking for a proof or explanation of these concepts and how they apply to specific composite states, such as K+K- and K0K0-bar. The conversation also references a problem from Bettini's elementary particle physics book and a paper that may provide further insight on the topic.
karlzr
It is said that all non-strange non-baryonic states are eigenstates of G-parity. And all members of an isospin multiplet have the same eigenvalue. Can anyone give me a proof to these two statements, or show me where I can find one?
In addition, the composite state consisting of [itex]K^{+}K^{-}[/itex] should be an eigenstate of G, according to the first statement. But after applying [itex]G=e^{-i\pi I_y}C[/itex] to [itex]K^+=u\bar{s}[/itex], we obtain [itex]\bar{K^0}=\bar{d}s[/itex]. Similarly, [itex]K^-[/itex] changes into [itex]K^0[/itex](here [itex]e^{-i\pi I_y}=e^{-i \pi \sigma_y/2}[/itex] for SU(2)) . Then how can we say [itex]K^{+}K^{-}[/itex] is an eigenstate of G?

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to talk about G-parity you have to start with an eigenstate of isospin. Whereas both K+K- and K0K0-bar are superpositions of I=0 and I=1.

Bill_K said:
In order to talk about G-parity you have to start with an eigenstate of isospin. Whereas both K+K- and K0K0-bar are superpositions of I=0 and I=1.

Do you mean [itex]K^+ K^-[/itex] and [itex]K^0\bar{K}^0[/itex] are not eigenstates of G-parity? because I don't think so. Consider [itex]\pi^+ \pi^-[/itex], it can also be superposition of I=0,1,2, but the G-parity is [itex](-1)^2=1[/itex], since [itex]\pi[/itex] are eigenstate of G with eigenvalue -1.
Actually this is about a problem from Bettini's elementary particle physics, 3.20 on page 107. Here is the link:
http://books.google.com/books?id=HNcQ_EiuTxcC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Sorry, my comment was incorrect. This paper might be of help to you, especially on p 9 where they work out the G-parity of K K-bar systems.

What is G-parity?

G-parity is a fundamental concept in particle physics that refers to the symmetry of a system under the exchange of particles with their corresponding antiparticles.

What are non-strange non-baryonic states?

Non-strange non-baryonic states refer to particles that are not made up of three quarks (baryons) and do not contain any strange quarks. This includes particles such as photons, electrons, and neutrinos.

What does it mean for a state to be an eigenstate of G-parity?

Being an eigenstate of G-parity means that the state is unchanged under the operation of G-parity. This means that the state remains the same when particles are exchanged with their antiparticles.

Why is it significant that non-strange non-baryonic states are eigenstates of G-parity?

This is significant because it allows for the conservation of certain quantum numbers, such as baryon number and strangeness, in interactions involving these particles. This is important for understanding the behavior of particles in high-energy collisions and the overall structure of matter.

How is the concept of G-parity used in particle physics?

G-parity is a fundamental symmetry that is used to classify and analyze different particle interactions. It is also used in theoretical calculations and experimental measurements to understand the properties and behavior of particles. G-parity is an important tool for building and testing theories in particle physics.