Difference between nominal and major diameter in threads

In summary: From what I understand, the Nominal diameter is the diameter of the cylindrical piece that they cut the threads from. So if they were able to cut the threads so that the crest-to-crest diameter was the same as the original cylinder, then yea. But Nominal means it's what they are calling it. A .5" bolt may have no points on it which measure .5", it's the way they label them.From what I understand, the Nominal diameter is the diameter of the cylind
hihiip201
Hi guys:

I am having trouble with differentiating nominal and major diameter, from what I get on google as well as my textbook, the nominal diameter is the largest diameter in the thread and major diameter is the distance between crest to crest. but aren't the two the same?

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nominal diameter is the diameter from crest to crest that the fastener is listed as. i.e. a 1/8" bolt has a nominal diameter of .125 inches. However, if you measured the outside diameter of the fastener from crest to crest you would find it slighly different (positive or negative depending on the material, grade, purpose, etc.) depending on the manufactured tolerances. The Major Diameter measures the distance between external crests for male threads and internal roots for female threads, and describes an actually measured dimension, rather than a theoretical, design dimension.

Travis_King said:
Nominal diameter is the diameter from crest to crest that the fastener is listed as. i.e. a 1/8" bolt has a nominal diameter of .125 inches. However, if you measured the outside diameter of the fastener from crest to crest you would find it slighly different (positive or negative depending on the material, grade, purpose, etc.) depending on the manufactured tolerances. The Major Diameter measures the distance between external crests for male threads and internal roots for female threads, and describes an actually measured dimension, rather than a theoretical, design dimension.

so if tolerance is zero (in theory), the major and nominal should be the same?

From what I understand, the Nominal diameter is the diameter of the cylindrical piece that they cut the threads from. So if they were able to cut the threads so that the crest-to-crest diameter was the same as the original cylinder, then yea. But Nominal means it's what they are calling it. A .5" bolt may have no points on it which measure .5", it's the way they label them.

Travis_King said:
From what I understand, the Nominal diameter is the diameter of the cylindrical piece that they cut the threads from. So if they were able to cut the threads so that the crest-to-crest diameter was the same as the original cylinder, then yea. But Nominal means it's what they are calling it. A .5" bolt may have no points on it which measure .5", it's the way they label them.

ya I remember what I learned from technical drawing class is that, nominal is just what you will order at home depot...

What is the difference between nominal and major diameter in threads?

The nominal diameter in threads is the measured diameter of the threaded portion of a screw or bolt, while the major diameter is the largest diameter of the thread. The major diameter is usually slightly larger than the nominal diameter to allow for clearance when threading.

Why is it important to know the difference between nominal and major diameter in threads?

Knowing the difference between nominal and major diameter in threads is important because it affects the fit and function of threaded parts. Using the wrong diameter can result in a loose or tight fit, causing issues with the stability and strength of the threaded connection.

How are nominal and major diameter in threads measured?

Nominal diameter in threads is typically measured with a caliper or micrometer, while the major diameter is measured with a thread pitch gauge or thread micrometer. These tools are used to accurately determine the diameter of the threaded portion of a screw or bolt.

Can the nominal and major diameter in threads be the same?

Yes, in some cases the nominal and major diameter in threads can be the same. This is known as a "full form" thread, where the thread profile is exactly the same as the nominal size.

What happens if the nominal and major diameter in threads do not match?

If the nominal and major diameter in threads do not match, it can result in a mismatched fit and potential issues with the strength and stability of the threaded connection. It is important to use the correct diameter when threading to ensure a proper fit and function.