Mixed Culture 16s rRNA Analysis Q&A

• Thread starter HOMO
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixed
In summary, the individual has a mixed culture plate and wants to perform 16s rRNA analysis. They have questions regarding the process, such as whether to take a small chunk of medium for PCR with universal primers, how to separate the strains, and what to do after purifying the RNA. One proposed method is to run the PCR products on a gel and purify the separate fragments, but it may be more effective to use TOPO cloning or next-generation sequencing. Finally, they plan to use BLAST or other metagenomic tools to analyze the sequenced data.
HOMO
I have a mixed culture plate and I want to do 16s rRNA analysis on it and I have a few questions.

First of all there are no visible colonies, but I know bacteria is growing. Do I just take a small chunk of the medium and do PCR on it with universal primers (I have a procedure for this step)?

Second, because it is mixed culture, won't the PCR be an amplification of a bunch of different 16s from the different bacteria? How do I separate the strains? I have an idea how to do this. After PCR on the universal primers, I can run it out on a gel and excise the separate fragments, then purify so that I have pure samples of all the amplified RNA?

Third, after I purify the RNA, I send it to get sequenced and then I use some database such as BLAST to see what I have?

Biology news on Phys.org
HOMO said:
Second, because it is mixed culture, won't the PCR be an amplification of a bunch of different 16s from the different bacteria? How do I separate the strains? I have an idea how to do this. After PCR on the universal primers, I can run it out on a gel and excise the separate fragments, then purify so that I have pure samples of all the amplified RNA?

The different amplicons will likely be the same size, so you probably wouldn't be able separate them on a gel. Instead, I would either perform TOPO cloning on the PCR products to create plasmids that can be transformed into bacteria, then isolate single colonies for plasmid purification and sequencing. Alternatively, you could use the PCR products to generate a library for next-generation sequencing.

Third, after I purify the RNA, I send it to get sequenced and then I use some database such as BLAST to see what I have?
Blast would work. People in the field of metagenomics may have developed better tools specifically for mapping 16S rRNA sequences.

Likes jim mcnamara

1. What is Mixed Culture 16s rRNA Analysis?

Mixed Culture 16s rRNA Analysis is a technique used in microbiology to identify and analyze the diversity of bacteria in a mixed culture sample. It involves amplifying and sequencing the 16s ribosomal RNA gene, which is present in all bacteria, and then using bioinformatics tools to analyze the resulting sequences.

2. What is the purpose of Mixed Culture 16s rRNA Analysis?

The purpose of Mixed Culture 16s rRNA Analysis is to identify and characterize the bacterial species present in a mixed culture sample. This can provide valuable information for various fields, such as environmental monitoring, food safety, and medical research.

3. How is Mixed Culture 16s rRNA Analysis performed?

Mixed Culture 16s rRNA Analysis typically involves four main steps: sample collection and preparation, DNA extraction, PCR amplification of the 16s rRNA gene, and sequencing of the resulting DNA fragments. The resulting sequences are then compared to databases and analyzed using bioinformatics tools to identify and characterize the bacterial species present in the sample.

4. What are the benefits of Mixed Culture 16s rRNA Analysis?

Mixed Culture 16s rRNA Analysis allows for the detection and identification of a wide range of bacterial species in a single sample, making it a powerful tool for studying microbial communities. It is also relatively quick and cost-effective compared to traditional culture-based methods.

5. What are the limitations of Mixed Culture 16s rRNA Analysis?

One limitation of Mixed Culture 16s rRNA Analysis is that it cannot distinguish between live and dead bacteria, as it only detects the presence of DNA. It also does not provide information on the function or activity of the bacteria in the sample. Additionally, the accuracy of the results can be affected by the quality and quantity of the DNA extracted from the sample.