How can I convert 7.8 x 10^-3 to 39/5000 using a calculator?

• Thread starter Loonyplz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fraction
In summary, to convert a decimal into a fraction, write the decimal number over 1 and simplify. To add or subtract fractions, find a common denominator, add or subtract the numerators, and simplify. To multiply fractions, multiply the numerators and denominators together, and simplify if possible. To divide fractions, invert the second fraction, multiply it by the first, and simplify. To convert a fraction into a decimal, divide the numerator by the denominator and round if desired.
Loonyplz
how would i convert 7.8 x 10^-3 = 39/5000 / 7.8 x 10^-3 into a fraction on my calculator?

I know the result is 0.0078 but I don't know how to get it, thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You want to start with 7.8 x 10^-3 and end up with 39/5000 ?

10^(-3) = 1/1000, so 7.8 x 10^-3 = 7.8/1000. Multiply the numerator and the denominator by 10 to get integers and you end up with 78/10000. Remove common factors from this and you get the answer.

1. How do I convert a decimal into a fraction?

To convert a decimal into a fraction, simply write the decimal number over 1 and simplify the fraction. For example, 0.5 would become 1/2.

2. How do I add or subtract fractions?

To add or subtract fractions, first find a common denominator, then add or subtract the numerators and keep the common denominator. Finally, simplify the resulting fraction, if necessary.

3. How do I multiply fractions?

To multiply fractions, multiply the numerators together and the denominators together. If possible, simplify the resulting fraction.

4. How do I divide fractions?

To divide fractions, invert the second fraction and then multiply it by the first fraction. Finally, simplify the resulting fraction, if necessary.

5. How do I convert a fraction into a decimal?

To convert a fraction into a decimal, divide the numerator by the denominator using long division or a calculator. The resulting decimal may be rounded to a certain number of decimal places, if desired.