Looking for some help with static electricity

In summary, the conversation discusses various questions about static electricity, specifically about an electroscope and its reaction to charged rods and a piece of paper. The participants discuss the process of how the leaves on the electroscope react when a positively charged glass rod is brought near, as well as the role of electrons and induced charges in this reaction. They also touch on the process of how a charged rubber rod can attract a piece of paper and eventually stop attracting it.
shanktank
hey all,
i'm new to the forum...just finished up the momentum and energy unit and now were on to static electricity...i was hopin i could get a bit of help with a couple questions i have:

3. A negatively charged rubber rod is momentarily touched to the knob of a neutral electroscope and then removed.
...i've gotten to the e) part of this question.
e) How could you prove that the electroscope has a negative charge?

4. A positively charged glass rod is held near the knob of a neutral electroscope.
d) Explain what happens to the leaves?
...well i figure the knob has a negative charge, the leaves have a positive charge...thus, the leaves should come together?
e)Explain what happens if the knob is grounded?
I have no idea with this one...
f) Explain what happens to the electroscope if the ground is removed and then the glass rod is removed?
Again no idea...

and finally
8 a) It is observed that a charged rubber rod will attract a small piece of paper. Explain how this occurs?
...I assume because the charged rubber rod is either negatively or positively charged, and the paper is the oppositely charged?
b) Eventually the rubber rod will "spit" the piece of paper away and will not attract anymore. Explain why this occurs?
...Once the electrons are done transferrin in the rubber rod then the chargin is done or something? haha not to sure...

Thanks for the help, never done anythin with this topic, and I'm doing it through correspondance and teachers seem to be impossible to get a hold of on the phone..
Shane

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF shanktank,

shanktank said:
4. A positively charged glass rod is held near the knob of a neutral electroscope.
d) Explain what happens to the leaves?
...well i figure the knob has a negative charge, the leaves have a positive charge...thus, the leaves should come together?

It is indeed true that the leaves will both have a positive charge. You need to ask yourself - "what do like charges do?"

-Hoot:smile:

well like charges repel...so the negative charge on the knob has nothin to do with the leaves then...

shanktank said:
well like charges repel...so the negative charge on the knob has nothin to do with the leaves then...

The rod has a positive charge and therefore produces a electic field, which exerts a force on any charged particles. When the rod is brought close to the knob, it attract the electrons in the electroscope to the surface of the knob, so electrons are 'pulled' up from the leaves and the 'stem' to the knob at the top. Thus leaving behind a positive charge on the leaves. Don't forget only electrons can move, the positive ions are fixed in a metal lattice.

Does that make sense?

-Hoot:smile:

ya ok that makes sense

any ideas with 8?

Same process as the electroscope, think about induced charges and whether a charge can flow. Remember it is only the electrons that can move.

1. What causes static electricity?

Static electricity is caused by an imbalance of electric charges on the surface of an object. This can occur when two objects with different electrical charges come into contact and then are separated, resulting in one object having more positive charges and the other having more negative charges.

2. How can I reduce static electricity in my home?

To reduce static electricity in your home, you can try using a humidifier to increase moisture in the air, which can help to neutralize the electric charges. You can also use dryer sheets or anti-static spray on clothing and fabrics to reduce static cling.

3. Can static electricity be dangerous?

In most cases, static electricity is not dangerous. However, in certain situations, such as in the presence of flammable gases or liquids, it can potentially cause a spark and ignite a fire. It can also cause damage to sensitive electronic devices.

4. How can I discharge static electricity from my body?

To discharge static electricity from your body, you can touch a grounded object, such as a metal doorknob or faucet. This allows the excess electric charges to flow from your body to the ground, reducing the static buildup.

5. What are some practical applications of static electricity?

Static electricity has various practical applications, such as in air filters, photocopiers, and spray painting. It is also used in electrostatic precipitators to remove pollutants from smokestacks and in the production of electronic devices.