Integrals of normal derivatives

In summary: This implies that \nabla \phi = 0 everywhere in V. Since \phi also vanishes everywhere on S, we have \phi = 0 everywhere in V.
Benny
Hi can someone please help me out with the following questions?

Supposed that [itex]\phi [/itex] is a C^2 function which satisfies Laplace's equation [itex]\nabla ^2 \phi = \nabla \bullet \nabla \phi = 0[/itex] everywhere in a region V bounded by a closed surface S.

a) If [tex]\frac{{\partial \phi }}{{\partial n}} = \mathop n\limits^ \to \bullet \nabla \phi [/tex] denotes the direction derivative of [itex]\phi[/itex] in the direction of the outward unit normal n, establish the following.

[tex]
\int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_S^{} {\frac{{\partial \phi }}{{\partial n}}} \partial S = 0}
[/tex]

[tex]
\int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_S^{} {\phi \frac{{\partial \phi }}{{\partial n}}dS = \int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_V^{} {\left\| {\nabla \phi } \right\|^2 } } } } } dV
[/tex]

b) If [tex]\frac{{\partial \phi }}{{\partial n}}[/tex] vanishes everywhere on S, deduce from the second result that [itex]\phi[/itex] must be constant in V.

c) If [itex]\phi[/itex] vanishes everywhere on S, deduce from the second result that [itex]\phi[/itex] must vanish everywhere in V.

Part a: Phi is a function of three variables, otherwise the question wouldn't really make sense. I tried to visualise what the statement meant so I tried some specific cases. If S is a hemisphere then V is a half unit ball. The gradient of phi is pendicular to level sets of phi so in this case the gradient of phi is a normal to V (since phi is a function of three variables). So in this case, the unit normal n, to S, is parallel to grad(phi). So how can the integral be zero? The integrand is non-zero. I'm not sure what to do here.

For the second result I'm fairly sure that I need to apply the divergence theorem. But I don't really know how to 'div' the integrand of the surface integral because I don't what the normal, n, is. I think I might need to use a general property somewhere here but again I really don't know what to do.

Part b: If the partial derivative with respect to n is zero on S then from the second result, the triple integral on the RHS must be equal to zero everywhere in V. This can only be the case if the integrand (grad(phi))^2 is identically zero. So phi is constant in V? Not sure.

Part c: I can't think of a way to do this.

ANy help would be good thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
a) For the first result, we use the Divergence Theorem. Let V be a region with boundary S and let \phi be a function that satisfies Laplace's equation. Then, \int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_S^{} {\frac{{\partial \phi }}{{\partial n}}} \partial S = \int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_V^{} {\nabla \bullet \nabla \phi } } dV = 0} since \nabla ^2 \phi = 0 everywhere in V. For the second result, we again use the Divergence Theorem. Let V be a region with boundary S and let \phi be a function that satisfies Laplace's equation. Then, \int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_S^{} {\phi \frac{{\partial \phi }}{{\partial n}}dS = \int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_V^{} { \nabla \phi \bullet \nabla \phi } } } } } dV = \int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_V^{} {\left\| {\nabla \phi } \right\|^2 } } } dVb) If \frac{{\partial \phi }}{{\partial n}} vanishes everywhere on S, then from the second result we have \int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_V^{} {\left\| {\nabla \phi } \right\|^2 } } } dV = 0This implies that \nabla \phi = 0 everywhere in V. Hence, \phi must be constant in V.c) If \phi vanishes everywhere on S, then from the second result we have \int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_V^{} {\left\| {\nabla \phi } \right\|^2 } } } dV = 0

1. What is the definition of an integral of a normal derivative?

The integral of a normal derivative is a mathematical operation that involves finding the area under a curve of a function that represents the rate of change of another function. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is the inverse operation of taking a derivative.

2. How is the integral of a normal derivative used in science?

The integral of a normal derivative is used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve problems involving rates of change, such as finding the distance traveled by an object given its velocity function or calculating the net force on an object given its acceleration function.

3. What is the relationship between the integral of a normal derivative and the original function?

The integral of a normal derivative is the antiderivative of the original function. This means that if you take the derivative of the integral, you will get back the original function. This relationship is known as the fundamental theorem of calculus and is a fundamental concept in calculus.

4. Can you provide an example of calculating an integral of a normal derivative?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x) = 2x^2 + 3x. To find the integral of this function, we first take the derivative, which is f'(x) = 4x + 3. The integral of this function would be F(x) = 2x^2 + 3x + C, where C is the constant of integration. This means that the original function f(x) is the derivative of F(x).

5. Are there any special rules or techniques for calculating integrals of normal derivatives?

Yes, there are several rules and techniques for calculating integrals of normal derivatives. These include the power rule, substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. It is important to understand and practice these techniques in order to solve more complex integrals in science and mathematics.