What is the ideal mixture ratio of oxygen to aluminum for a rocket fuel?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Aluminum as a rocket fuel with oxygen. The exhaust velocity at 100% efficiency is proportional to the square root of the temperature and molecular weight of the propellant. Using LH2-LOX, the specific impulse can reach 465 s at 88% efficiency, while using Al-LOX can reach 514 s at the same efficiency. However, it is noted that the combustion temperature of Al-LOX is very hot and the exact temperature needs to be determined to see if the Al_2_O_3 product will be in gaseous form. The speaker has questions about the ideal mixture ratio of oxygen to aluminum and why LH2-LOX rockets have 4 times the
foulbr3@yahoo.com
Hi, I have some questions about using Aluminum as a rocket fuel with
oxygen.
According to my calculuations, V_ex = sqrt(2*Ed) where V_ex = exaust
velocity at 100% efficiency and Ed = energy density of the propellant
in J/kg. This is proportional to sqrt(T/m_w) where T is temperature and
m_w is molecular weight.

Let's try this with LH2-LOX first: H2O has a molecular weight of
18.02e-3 kg/mol and enthalpy of formation of 242e3 J/mol. V_ex =
sqrt(2*242e3/18.02e-3) = 5182.57 m/s.
Dividing by 9.8 we get 528 s so at 88% efficiency we get 465 s which is
the actual specific impulse.

Next let's try this with Al-LOX. V_ex = sqrt(2*1675.7e3/101.96e-3) =
5733.2 m/s.
Dividing by 9.8 we get 585 s, so it beats the space shuttle main
engines! At 88% efficiency we get 514 s. This is enough to reach space
in 2 stages very easilly.

We can only conclude from the above that the combustion temperature of
Al-LOX is very, very hot. How can I find the temperature exactly, to
determine if the Al_2_O_3 product will be in gasseus form or not?

My questions are:
1. How can I find the ideal mixture ratio of oxygen to aluminum? Why
don't LH2-LOX rockets just have twice as much H_2 as O_2? Why 4 times
the O_2 as H_2 instead? It seems to me this reduces the combustion
temperature, thus increasing the mass ratio at the expense of the
exaust velocity (specific impulse). Will an molten Aluminum-fueled
rocket need excess LOX too?? How can I find the ideal ratio? I want to
compute the volume of tanks but to do this I need to know the
Oxygen-Aluminum ratio.

2. After passing through the nozzle, will the Al_2_O_3 exhaust be a
liquid? Who ever heard of a liquid exhaust rocket, except
water-compressed-air rockets! But my understanding is that as the
exaust passes through the nozzle it cools and speeds up, like a heat
engine. I imagine then the exhaust will be liquid, molten Al_2_O_3!

Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=122759

Last edited by a moderator:

The ideal mixture ratio of oxygen to aluminum for a rocket fuel depends on several factors, including the efficiency of the rocket engine, the desired specific impulse, and the temperature at which the fuel will burn. Generally, a higher oxygen to aluminum ratio will result in a higher specific impulse, but it may also increase the combustion temperature, which can have negative effects on the rocket engine.

To find the ideal mixture ratio, you can use equations and calculations similar to the ones you have already done for LH2-LOX and Al-LOX. However, it is important to note that the ideal mixture ratio may vary for different rocket engines and designs, so it is best to consult with experts or conduct thorough testing to determine the most efficient ratio for your specific rocket.

In terms of the combustion temperature and whether the Al_2_O_3 exhaust will be in liquid form, it is difficult to determine without specific information about the rocket engine design and temperature. The exhaust temperature can vary depending on the efficiency of the engine and the amount of excess oxygen used. It is possible that the Al_2_O_3 exhaust may be in liquid form, but it could also be in a gaseous or solid form depending on the temperature and pressure.

Overall, the ideal mixture ratio of oxygen to aluminum for a rocket fuel will depend on several factors and may need to be determined through testing and experimentation. It is important to consider the specific design and goals of the rocket when determining the ideal ratio.

1. What is an aluminum rocket?

An aluminum rocket is a type of rocket that uses aluminum as its main structural material. This means that the body of the rocket is made primarily out of aluminum, which makes it lightweight and strong.

2. How does an aluminum rocket work?

An aluminum rocket works by using a chemical reaction to produce thrust. The rocket engine burns a mixture of fuel and oxidizer, which creates hot gases that are forced out of the back of the rocket, propelling it forward.

3. What are the advantages of using aluminum in rockets?

Aluminum is a popular choice for rockets because it is lightweight, yet strong. This allows for a higher payload capacity and better fuel efficiency. Aluminum is also readily available and relatively inexpensive compared to other materials.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using aluminum in rockets?

One potential drawback of using aluminum in rockets is that it can be prone to corrosion. This can be mitigated by using special coatings or alloys, but it is something that needs to be carefully considered in the design and construction of the rocket.

5. What other materials are commonly used in rockets besides aluminum?

In addition to aluminum, other materials commonly used in rockets include carbon fiber, titanium, and various composites. Each material has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice often depends on the specific needs and requirements of the rocket.