Calculating Charge & Battery Life of Pacemakers

• Thread starter FlipStyle1308
  • Start date
In summary, pacemakers commonly use a lithium-iodine battery with a capacity of 0.42 A x h. This means it can supply 1512 C of charge. To find the expected lifetime of the device, we can use the equation I = Q/t, where I is the average current. The current of 5.6 mcA can be converted to 5.6 x 10^-6 A, and using this value, we can solve for t. However, the unit "mcA" actually means "microampere", which is equivalent to 10^-6 A. By correctly converting the units, we can determine the expected lifetime of the pacemaker.
FlipStyle1308
Pacemakers which are designed for long-term use commonly employ a lithium-iodine battery capable of supplying 0.42 A x h of charge. (a) How many coloumbs of charge can such a battery supply? (b) If the average current produced by the pacemaker is 5.6 mcA, what is the expected lifetime of the device?

I am pretty sure I have to use the equation I = Q/t, so Q = It? How do I get t, since it is not mentioned at all? Does this have anything to do with the "x h" mentioned in the problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what unit make up an Ampere??

since I = Q/t
and time is in what units?

can you figure out how to d oyour problem now??

A = C/s, so C = As = (0.42)(3600) = 1512C. As for part (b), what is 5.6 mcA? I see the A, but was does mc mean?

Last edited:
FlipStyle1308 said:
A = C/s, so C = As = (0.42)(3600) = 1512C. As for part (b), what is 5.6 mcA? I see the A, but was does mc mean?

mc = micro (althouhg usually they use the symbol mu [itex] \mu [/itex])

micro = 10^-6

Okay, I correctly solved this problem, thank you!

1. How is the charge of a pacemaker calculated?

The charge of a pacemaker is calculated by multiplying the pacing output (measured in volts) by the duration of each pacing pulse (measured in milliseconds). This calculation determines the amount of energy delivered to the heart in each pacing cycle.

2. What factors affect the battery life of a pacemaker?

The battery life of a pacemaker can be affected by several factors, including the pacing demand, the programmed pacing output, and the type and size of the battery. Other factors such as temperature, humidity, and the patient's activity level can also impact battery life.

3. How long does a pacemaker battery typically last?

The average lifespan of a pacemaker battery is between 5 and 15 years, depending on the above-mentioned factors and the type of pacemaker. Some newer models have longer battery life due to advancements in battery technology.

4. Can the battery of a pacemaker be replaced?

Yes, the battery of a pacemaker can be replaced through a minor surgery. The pacemaker device itself does not need to be replaced, only the battery. The replacement procedure may vary depending on the type of pacemaker and the patient's individual health status.

5. How does a pacemaker alert the patient when the battery is low?

Most pacemakers have a low-battery indicator that will alert the patient when the battery is nearing the end of its lifespan. This indicator can be in the form of a beeping sound or a vibrating sensation, and the patient may also be able to see a warning message on the pacemaker's display screen.