Can u share files and printers on a router as well as a internet connection?

In summary, a router can be used to share files and printers as well as an internet connection. It has the ability to store tables and can also have a switch attached to it. A switch is smarter than a hub and can provide full bandwidth to each computer, making it more efficient for file and printer sharing. In comparison, a hub sends all information from all sources to all destinations, resulting in slower speeds for networked computers. Switches have become more popular and hubs may be difficult to find in stores due to their decreased demand.
Radiatedtheory18
can u share files and printers on a router as well as a internet connection?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org

Originally posted by Radiatedtheory18
can u share files and printers on a router as well as a internet connection?

Yes, a router is a hub with more ports and the ability to store tables, among other things.

Originally posted by kyle_soule
Yes, a router is a hub with more ports and the ability to store tables, among other things.
Well actually, a router usually has a SWITCH attached to it, but in any case, the answer is still yes.

Originally posted by russ_watters
Well actually, a router usually has a SWITCH attached to it, but in any case, the answer is still yes.

A home router would not have a switch, and routers do not connect into switches, switches connect to routers, in large groups usually.

So for a home router to have a switch would be crazy.

I have a SMC Barricade, this is a home router/switch. The Router controles the access to my cable modem, I have 4 systems pluged into the switch/hub. My understanding is that the switch is smarter then a hub and able to provide FULL bandwithth to each computer, the router provids NAT service to the web so my 4 systems can all be online at the same time while Attbi/comcast sees only 1 IP address. The Switch serves to connect my 4 systems for file and printer sharing as well as LAN gaming. Due to my single WEB address we cannot have more then 1 machine on battlenet at a time. Though I bet that if we logged on to different servers and played separate games it would work fine.

Originally posted by kyle_soule
A home router would not have a switch, and routers do not connect into switches, switches connect to routers, in large groups usually.

So for a home router to have a switch would be crazy.
My router says right on the box "cable/dsl router with 4 port switch." A router is essentially just device that connects one network to another. It only has one input and one output.
My understanding is that the switch is smarter then a hub and able to provide FULL bandwithth to each computer.
Its pretty simple, Integral: a switch sends information to the destination its meant for. A hub sends all information from all sources to all destinations. Thats where the bandwidth issue comes in.

Last edited:

My router says right on the box "cable/dsl router with 4 port switch." A router is essentially just device that connects one network to another. It only has one input and one output.

I was talking about real routers (eg) Cisco routers. Not Linksys and such. The routers I'm talking about have 2 ethernet and 2 serial and 1 console port and 1 aux. port.

Recently I have contracted an ADSL line, and, well, after waiting a couple of weeks the server sent to me a router zyxel prestige 600 series, and I achieved to connect to Internet. Now I have another PC and I would like to connect it to the ADSL line too. The problem is that the router only has a port, then I called to the server and they told me that if I'd like to connect 2 PCs to the router I should buy a device called hub, I did, it's a Allied Telesyn International AT-MR415T with 4 ports, but i don't understand the instructions, I called to the server looking for help and they said me that they only give help to connect a PC to the router

What I have to do to connect the 2 PCs to the router? Please help!

My router says right on the box "cable/dsl router with 4 port switch." A router is essentially just device that connects one network to another. It only has one input and one output. Its pretty simple, Integral: a switch sends information to the destination its meant for. A hub sends all information from all sources to all destinations. Thats where the bandwidth issue comes in.
I've wondered about this too. If several computers are networked together through a switch, well, here's perhaps what I mean;

computers; A, B, C, D

Let's say the swith connects to the internet and A and B are splitting the bandwith of that connection. Is it possible for C and D to be exchanging files at full network bandwidth speeds without data-stream collisions taking place with A or B?

I believe the answer is yes, that the switch can isolated communications between C and D while splitting the internet bandwidth between A and B.

I have seen the prices of switches fall and fall. I'm thinking that Hubs may become increasingly more difficult to find in stores because few people want them. In the scenario above, if using a Hub, I believe all four of those computers would have to take turns 'talking', be it Time Division Multiplexing or some other scheme. That would make for much slower over speeds for that kind of network.

Originally posted by BoulderHead
I've wondered about this too. If several computers are networked together through a switch, well, here's perhaps what I mean;

computers; A, B, C, D

Let's say the swith connects to the internet and A and B are splitting the bandwith of that connection. Is it possible for C and D to be exchanging files at full network bandwidth speeds without data-stream collisions taking place with A or B?

I believe the answer is yes, that the switch can isolated communications between C and D while splitting the internet bandwidth between A and B.

I have seen the prices of switches fall and fall. I'm thinking that Hubs may become increasingly more difficult to find in stores because few people want them. In the scenario above, if using a Hub, I believe all four of those computers would have to take turns 'talking', be it Time Division Multiplexing or some other scheme. That would make for much slower over speeds for that kind of network.
Since a switch only sends data to its intended destination (instead of all possible destinations) you do indeed get full capacity out of the switch. Now there is overhead and things like that, so the maximum capacity is never its theoretical 100mbps, but you get as close as is possible. And computers not transfering info to/from each other are not affected by what other computers on the network are doing.

And just to clarify the connections, it looks like this:

internet->router->switch->pcs(or other hubs or switches)

For example, I set up a network for my company (a tiny engineering company). We have a cable modem connected to a router. The router has an internal four port switch which is connected to two computers, a print server, and a hub. The hub is connected to 3 computers and another print server.

1. Can I share files and printers on a router?

Yes, most modern routers come with built-in file and printer sharing capabilities. This allows multiple devices connected to the router to access and use shared files and printers.

2. How do I set up file and printer sharing on my router?

The process may vary depending on the router model, but generally, you will need to enable file and printer sharing in the router's settings and then configure the sharing permissions for specific files and printers. You may also need to install additional software or drivers on your devices to access the shared files and printers.

3. Can I share files and printers on a router and still have an internet connection?

Yes, sharing files and printers on a router does not affect its ability to provide an internet connection. As long as the router is connected to a modem or an existing internet connection, all devices connected to it can access the internet and share files and printers simultaneously.

4. Is sharing files and printers on a router secure?

It can be, but it also depends on how you set up the sharing permissions. It is recommended to password-protect shared files and printers to prevent unauthorized access. Additionally, it is important to keep your router's firmware updated to fix any security vulnerabilities.

5. Can I share files and printers on a router with devices connected to different networks?

No, file and printer sharing on a router is limited to devices connected to the same network. If you want to share files and printers with devices on different networks, you may need to use a cloud storage service or set up a virtual private network (VPN).