Calculate CO2 Mass from Gasoline Combustion | Octane & CO2 Problem Solved!

• Thread starter JABEMT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Co2
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the mass of CO2 produced by the combustion of a tank of gasoline, with the given information that the mass of gasoline is 41.0 kg and gasoline is pure octane (C8H18). The correct answer is 278 lb, but there are different calculations and answers being discussed. The correct calculation involves using the stoichiometric equation and the molecular mass of octane.
JABEMT
I have the answer to the problem... only my problem is I can figure out how in the world world they came up with it. Here it is... I am sure it a pretty easy equation... only I don't get it!

Calculate the mass of CO2 produced by the combustion of a tank of gasoline. Assume the mass of gasoline is 41.0 kg and that gasoline is pure octane (C8H18); 1 lb =454 g. Express your answer rounded to the nearest whole number. Do not include units with your answer.

Correct answer: 278

I have tried converting the 41.0kg into grams and got .041g.
I found the atomic mass of CO2 as 44 and X by 8 (research found Every molecule of octane makes eight molecules of CO2) which = 352.

Also the Octane has a weight of 144.

So I took .041g X (352/144)= 0.1

WHat am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Find out what percentage of gasoline (isooctane) is carbon. Use atomic weight for carbon and hydrogen and formula wt for isooctane.
This is the carbon source for all of the CO2 produced.

The percent of gasoline that is carbon expressed in moles will equal to the moles of CO2.

Also, recheck your formula wt. for isooctane... I get 114.
And... I think the answer is wrong. I get 138 kg or 304 lb.

Last edited:
JABEMT said:
I have the answer to the problem... only my problem is I can figure out how in the world world they came up with it. Here it is... I am sure it a pretty easy equation... only I don't get it!

Calculate the mass of CO2 produced by the combustion of a tank of gasoline. Assume the mass of gasoline is 41.0 kg and that gasoline is pure octane (C8H18); 1 lb =454 g. Express your answer rounded to the nearest whole number. Do not include units with your answer.

Correct answer: 278

I have tried converting the 41.0kg into grams and got .041g.
I found the atomic mass of CO2 as 44 and X by 8 (research found Every molecule of octane makes eight molecules of CO2) which = 352.

Also the Octane has a weight of 144.

So I took .041g X (352/144)= 0.1

WHat am I missing?

2 C8H18 + 25 O2 = 18 H2O + 16 CO2

molecular mass of Octane is (8x12 + 18) grams/mole

41000.0 grams Octane (1 mole/(114 grams)(16 moles CO2/2 moles Octane)(44 grams CO2/1 mole CO2)=127 kg

Now we're all getting different answers. I used the stoichiometric equation however.

GCT has it right. The correct answer is 127 Kg or 278 lb.

1. What is the Co2 and Octane problem?

The Co2 and Octane problem is a concern that has arisen due to the widespread use of fossil fuels as a source of energy. Burning fossil fuels like gasoline, diesel, and oil releases carbon dioxide (Co2) into the atmosphere, contributing to the greenhouse effect and ultimately leading to climate change. Along with Co2, these fuels also release other pollutants like nitrogen oxides and sulfur dioxide, which can have negative impacts on human health and the environment. Octane is a measure of a fuel's resistance to knocking, which is a form of combustion that can damage engines. The Co2 and Octane problem refers to the challenge of reducing Co2 emissions and improving air quality while still meeting the demand for high-octane fuels.

2. What are the effects of Co2 emissions and high-octane fuels on the environment?

Co2 emissions contribute to the greenhouse effect, trapping heat in the Earth's atmosphere and leading to global warming. This can result in rising sea levels, more frequent and severe natural disasters, and changes in weather patterns. High-octane fuels, on the other hand, can release pollutants that contribute to smog and acid rain, which can harm plants, animals, and ecosystems. Additionally, the extraction and production of these fuels can also have negative impacts on the environment, such as deforestation and water pollution.

3. What are some potential solutions to the Co2 and Octane problem?

There are several potential solutions to the Co2 and Octane problem, including reducing the use of fossil fuels by transitioning to renewable energy sources like solar and wind power. Another solution is to improve fuel efficiency in vehicles and promote the use of electric or hybrid vehicles. Additionally, using alternative fuels such as biofuels or hydrogen can help reduce Co2 emissions and improve air quality. Technological advancements in engine design and fuel production can also play a role in addressing this problem.

4. How can individuals contribute to solving the Co2 and Octane problem?

Individuals can make a difference by reducing their own carbon footprint. This can include using public transportation, biking, or walking instead of driving, and choosing energy-efficient products. Recycling and reducing waste can also help reduce the demand for fossil fuels. Additionally, supporting companies and policies that promote renewable energy and sustainable practices can have a positive impact on reducing Co2 emissions and improving air quality.

5. What role does government policy play in addressing the Co2 and Octane problem?

Government policies and regulations can play a crucial role in addressing the Co2 and Octane problem. This can include implementing emissions standards for vehicles and promoting the use of renewable energy sources. Governments can also provide incentives for companies and individuals to adopt more sustainable practices and invest in clean energy technologies. Additionally, international cooperation and agreements can help to tackle this issue on a global scale.