Is Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics a Good Resource for Self-Study?

In summary, this book would not be a good choice to study from because it is not made for self-study and it is not a beginner's book.
ziad1985
The short version:I'm taking Classical electrodynamics this semester, I found out that I have this book:
Classical Electrodynamics by J.D.Jackson
Anyone know this book?Would it be a good choice to help me study?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, many folks have studied from this text... some with fond memories.. others, not so fond.

It's one of those texts that can be either good or bad, but you're probably stuck with it since it's so widely used.

From my experience with the text, I can safely say that it's not made for self-study. You will find yourself often looking to outside resources for clarification on certain derivations/concepts that Jackson omits. Also, some of the problems are very difficult (but that's what this forum is for, right? :biggrin:)

I'm not really stuck with it, I just have it...
It's not for self study, Like I said I just started taking the courses and saw that I have this Book..
My late uncle was a science book collector, in his library there is a few thousand books raging from biology to particle physics(I don't know why he collected them)anyway they are all mine(stuff related to physics), I'll see if I find other books on the same subject..

Last edited:
here's a list:

ziad1985 said:
I'm not really stuck with it, I just have it...
It's not for self study, Like I said I just started taking the courses and saw that I have this Book..
My late uncle was a science book collector, in his library there is a few thousand books raging from biology to particle physics(I don't know why he collected them)anyway they are all mine(stuff related to physics), I'll see if I find other books on the same subject..

Er.. if you are just starting to learn E&M, that book is not something you want to use. All the stuff you learn in undergraduate electrostatics is compressed into Jackson's Introduction! So it is not a good book to start learning E&M from. Jackson's book tends to be used in graduate level E&M courses.

Zz.

1. What is Classical Electrodynamics?

Classical Electrodynamics is a branch of physics that studies the interactions between electrically charged particles and electromagnetic fields. It is based on the principles of classical mechanics and electromagnetism, and is used to explain the behavior of electrically charged particles and their interactions with electric and magnetic fields.

2. What are the fundamental equations of Classical Electrodynamics?

The fundamental equations of Classical Electrodynamics are Maxwell's equations, which describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields and their sources. These equations include Gauss's law, which relates electric fields to their sources, and Ampere's law, which relates magnetic fields to their sources.

3. How does Classical Electrodynamics differ from Quantum Electrodynamics?

Classical Electrodynamics and Quantum Electrodynamics are two different theories that describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields. Classical Electrodynamics is based on classical mechanics and electromagnetism, while Quantum Electrodynamics is based on the principles of quantum mechanics. Classical Electrodynamics is used to explain macroscopic phenomena, while Quantum Electrodynamics is used to explain microscopic phenomena.

4. What are some applications of Classical Electrodynamics?

Classical Electrodynamics has many practical applications, including the design and operation of electronic devices such as computers, cell phones, and televisions. It is also used in the fields of telecommunications, power generation and distribution, and electromagnetic imaging.

5. What are some open problems in Classical Electrodynamics?

Despite its success in explaining many phenomena, Classical Electrodynamics still has some open problems. One of the biggest challenges is the unification of electromagnetism with the other fundamental forces of nature, such as gravity. Another open problem is the failure of Classical Electrodynamics to explain certain phenomena at the atomic level, which requires the use of Quantum Electrodynamics.